Feb 9, 2010, 6:59 PM EDT
Astros GM Ed Wade revealed to the media Tuesday that relief pitcher Brandon Lyon
had a small cyst in his right shoulder drained two weeks ago and won’t be back to full strength by the time pitchers and catchers report to spring training.
The Astros detected the cyst in the initial MRI they gave Lyon before he inked a three-year, $15 million contract in early December. It seemed like a minor issue at the time, but the problem grew and Lyon finally told the club of his increasing discomfort last month.
“The follow-up MRI showed it had grown to the size of 1 1/2 grapes,”
Wade told MLB.com on Tuesday. “They aspirated the fluid out of it and Brandon went home and
began his regular throwing program.”
The ‘Stros are hoping Lyon will be ready by Opening Day. He had a 2.86 ERA, a 1.11 WHIP and a 57/31 K/BB ratio in 78 2/3 innings last year for the Tigers and is expected to begin the 2010 season as the Astros’ closer.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)