Feb 9, 2010, 6:59 PM EDT
Astros GM Ed Wade revealed to the media Tuesday that relief pitcher Brandon Lyon
had a small cyst in his right shoulder drained two weeks ago and won’t be back to full strength by the time pitchers and catchers report to spring training.
The Astros detected the cyst in the initial MRI they gave Lyon before he inked a three-year, $15 million contract in early December. It seemed like a minor issue at the time, but the problem grew and Lyon finally told the club of his increasing discomfort last month.
“The follow-up MRI showed it had grown to the size of 1 1/2 grapes,”
Wade told MLB.com on Tuesday. “They aspirated the fluid out of it and Brandon went home and
began his regular throwing program.”
The ‘Stros are hoping Lyon will be ready by Opening Day. He had a 2.86 ERA, a 1.11 WHIP and a 57/31 K/BB ratio in 78 2/3 innings last year for the Tigers and is expected to begin the 2010 season as the Astros’ closer.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)