Feb 9, 2010, 9:04 PM EDT
Want to know why Johnny Damon, who hit 24 homers and scored 107 runs last season, hasn’t signed with a team as of February 9? Because he’s holding out for a two-year contract. Or so says FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
Damon, 36, has drawn interest recently from the Tigers, Braves and Rays, though none of those clubs seem interested in his current asking price. His agent, Scott Boras, is even trying to sell the outfielder to the city of Detroit, telling the Detroit Free Press Tuesday that Damon loves the Detroit Red Wings, especially hometown hero Steve Yzerman. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski doesn’t appear to be biting.
“We continue to monitor everything,” Dombrowski said Tuesday, when asked
generally about the market. “I am not sure if we are close on
Boras claims to have “four or five” offers on the table. It’s a little hard to believe, though, isn’t it?
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)