Feb 9, 2010, 9:04 PM EST
Want to know why Johnny Damon, who hit 24 homers and scored 107 runs last season, hasn’t signed with a team as of February 9? Because he’s holding out for a two-year contract. Or so says FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
Damon, 36, has drawn interest recently from the Tigers, Braves and Rays, though none of those clubs seem interested in his current asking price. His agent, Scott Boras, is even trying to sell the outfielder to the city of Detroit, telling the Detroit Free Press Tuesday that Damon loves the Detroit Red Wings, especially hometown hero Steve Yzerman. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski doesn’t appear to be biting.
“We continue to monitor everything,” Dombrowski said Tuesday, when asked
generally about the market. “I am not sure if we are close on
Boras claims to have “four or five” offers on the table. It’s a little hard to believe, though, isn’t it?
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 19
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 16
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 82
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)