Feb 9, 2010, 9:04 PM EST
Want to know why Johnny Damon, who hit 24 homers and scored 107 runs last season, hasn’t signed with a team as of February 9? Because he’s holding out for a two-year contract. Or so says FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
Damon, 36, has drawn interest recently from the Tigers, Braves and Rays, though none of those clubs seem interested in his current asking price. His agent, Scott Boras, is even trying to sell the outfielder to the city of Detroit, telling the Detroit Free Press Tuesday that Damon loves the Detroit Red Wings, especially hometown hero Steve Yzerman. Tigers GM Dave Dombrowski doesn’t appear to be biting.
“We continue to monitor everything,” Dombrowski said Tuesday, when asked
generally about the market. “I am not sure if we are close on
Boras claims to have “four or five” offers on the table. It’s a little hard to believe, though, isn’t it?
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15