Feb 9, 2010, 3:50 PM EST
Sometimes in life, the joke is on you.
Two months ago I poked a little fun at Jacque Jones attending the winter meetings in search of a job, suggesting that he was washed up and would “be lucky to secure a minor-league contract with an invite to spring training.”
It turns out I was absolutely right, because this afternoon Jones signed a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training. And it turns out he’ll be in camp with my favorite team, reuniting with the Twins five years after departing as a free agent and three seasons after last being a productive hitter. Not so funny now, huh?
While the Twins could certainly use a backup outfielder capable of handling center field, Jones hasn’t played the position regularly since 2007, will be 35 years old in April, batted .147 in 42 games for the Tigers and Marlins in 2008, and spent last season playing for the independent league Newark Bears after getting released by the Reds in spring training.
Hopefully he likes Rochester, New York.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)