It's OK for a steroid user to become a coach in the NFL

Feb 9, 2010, 2:20 PM EDT

Romanowski AP.pngFOX’s Jay Glazer reports that Mike Shanahan is interviewing Bill Romanowski to be the Redskins’ new strength and conditioning coach. I repeat: a man who took the “cream” and the “clear” just like Barry Bonds did is poised to be the STRENGTH and CONDITIONING coach for an NFL team.

In light of the bruising Mark McGwire has taken from FOX’s Ken Rosenthal and others, FOX’s Glazer will no doubt likewise demand that Romo not be given the job:

shanny at it
again: he’s interviewing Bill Romanowski for strength & cond coach.
while controvertial, who knows this stuff better than him?

I’m not a fan of the NFL, but at least NFL commentators aren’t deluded about the purity of the game they cover.

1. Clorox Fantasy - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM

Wow, I was just thinking about the other day that Shanahan would give Romo a call! Talk about psychic powers! Will he make him take a lie detector test? Or is that reserved for Clinton Portis?

2. Glenn - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM

After reading Romo’s book, I would be more concerned with having a guy in charge of training who falls for every pseudo-scientific quakery that comes along. I’ve never heard of anyone who falls for every bit of nonsense more than Romo. The man is a fool.

3. John Arbuthnot Fisher - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:35 PM

While a linebacker at Boston College (of which I am such a proud, proud alum), Bill Romanowski ran through the wall of a dorm. Literally ran through it. This action led to a ban on football players residing in that particular dormitory complex.

4. smsetnor - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:36 PM

Another reason why the NFL is an inferior product. Really, it’s more entertainment and less sport.

5. Phil - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Half the NFL fan base is there to gamble. The other half is there to get off on vicarious violence, and Romo’s the poster child for those folks. The NFL knows this and recognizes that PEDs just ensure that both of those groups will stick around. As long as their PR exercise known as a drug policy can provide at least a veneer of purity, they’re fine with it.

6. BC - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I remember an article on him (I think it was Sports Illustrated but I cannot find it) that essentially lauded him for a healthy lifestyle, and all the “supplements” and vitamins he was taking, etc. Efforting to find it, it was sometime in the mid-90’s I think. It’s actually comical to think how things have changed in 15 years.

7. lar @ wezen-ball - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Here’s that article, BC. I haven’t looked through it yet, so you’ll have to find the tasty quotes: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1012921/index.htm

8. sjp - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:54 PM

The only real difference between the sports in how steroids have been view is how the leadership and media have handled the situation. The NFL had testing when the media for MLB were making jokes about it with Lenny Dykstra in spring training. The MLBPA continued to issue denials and the fans and media are still in denial about the fact that MLB has had a substance “problem” since WWII (and likely before). In short, the NFL said they had a problem, addressed it (how effectively is nearly irrelevant), and moved on. MLB and the MLBPA continued to issue vacuous denials that created a media feeding frenzy. In addition, the NFL media is much more comfortable with the fact that guys have always done whatever was necessary to win; they don’t act like players from eras gone by were pure of heart and deed, they know better. People haven’t changed in this respect.
    Anyone that thinks the NFL is more “entertainment” and MLB is “competition” needs to look at the distribution of wealth in MLB.
    I love baseball. Denial of it’s historical or current problems is not constructive….similarly, disparaging other sports has no positive effect on the league, sport, or understanding historical and modern context of events.

9. Grant - Feb 9, 2010 at 3:06 PM

I think you undersell NFL fans. Yes, there are gamblers, and yes, there are sadists, but they are not the only two constituencies. Football, like it or not, does indeed take a great deal of skill, and there are those of us who appreciate us.

Further, a lot of the “gambling” on the NFL is fantasy, something which a great number of baseball fans also indulge in.

10. Rays fan - Feb 9, 2010 at 3:16 PM

excellent post, thanks.
    you too, Grant.

11. Jonny5 - Feb 9, 2010 at 3:25 PM

Too funny, I like it how some baseball fans feel superior to football fans.. LOL!!! That’s pretty funny.

12. snley - Feb 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM

I prefer this piece from one of the original steroids in baseball hunters, Rick Reilly. Can’t help but wonder if Bonds had played for the Rockies in the 90s or been open to doing a piece with Reilly, would Reilly have become his biggest defender and looked the other way? It worked that way for Romo and Lance Armstrong.

13. Evan - Feb 9, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Craig,
    I think you are deluded by your own cyncism. Your ongoing thesis about how people should simply accept steroids in baseball is a complete farcry from how the majority of baseball fans feel. Quite simply, if baseball fans didn’t care about steroids (like football fans) there would be no Mitchell Report and no “steroid era.”
    NFL fans aren’t nearly as obsessed with stats and records as Baseball fans.

14. Phil - Feb 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Grant, I admit painting with a rather broad brush. But the fact that even a self-confessed fan has to admit that part of the fan base is comprised of sadists doesn’t speak well for the game. There’s undeniably a culture of violence and machismo that surrounds the game, and it trickles into the fan base from the players and coaches themselves. It’s exceedingly distasteful. My son is grown, but if he were a boy today I wouldn’t let him near the game.
    Football, of our three major team sports, is by far the most friendly to the casual and not-so-casual wager. And I’m not talking about fantasy football, though undeniably that’s a component. From office pools to on-line betting sites, it’s easy for even casual fans to wager without the in-depth knowledge of the hard-core fan. The fact that it’s a made-for-TV sport facilitates this even more. If the ability to make easy bets on games disappeared tomorrow, TV ratings would decline precipitously.

15. Ryan - Feb 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Correction – it’s more entertainment and product placement than sport.

16. Tony A - Feb 9, 2010 at 5:07 PM

Last time I checked, “interview” was not the same as “hire”…

17. Issac Maez - Feb 15, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I think your blog is great. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Found it on Google though. I love the suggestions and just trying to wrap my head around it, it’s mind boggling. Thanks

18. Suellen Swumsuits - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM

All of this pic about the bathing suit versions have a tendency to get fantastic. Understand that you could have conducted an incredible work accounting for that most recent fashions for this year. The summertime will probably be at this level just previous to most folks realise it and folks may well just about all be enduring to come across bathing fits which include the the types in the post. Physical activities Illustrated basically just arrived out considering the swimwear edition and also we are likely to all be battling to come across bikinis related towards the bikiniss as part of the story.

19. Enrique Chowdhury - Feb 19, 2010 at 6:34 PM

I was very pleased when I recieved this dress. For the price I got it for I wasnt expecting much…but I was pleasantly surprised! The only reason I didnt give it 5 stars is because of th3e belt that attached and also wasn’t aware of when I purchased it. Otherwise its a great dress!

20. Gregory Despain - Feb 26, 2010 at 6:47 AM

Please, don’t allow people to do such things! This is enormous blatand.

21. Carroll B. Merriman - Feb 26, 2010 at 7:11 AM

This is a great wonder how to do such a thing. Coll place to find a projection.

22. Johnathon Kockler - Mar 3, 2010 at 7:35 AM

I’ve bookmarked your site, the articles are way better here than on other blogs.. thanks for a great read!

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3130)