Ricky Romero is in the best shape of his life

Feb 9, 2010, 12:18 PM EDT

I’ll stop writing stuff like that when dudes stop writing stuff like this:

Halladay’s departure leaves Romero, who went 13-9 as a rookie, as
the most experienced healthy starting pitcher on the roster, and the
25-year-old is tackling the new challenge the way Halladay would.

By training like a maniac.

In
addition to his throwing sessions, Romero worked out at Athletes’
Performance in suburban Carson, Calif., putting in two-hour sessions
four days a week, and fine-tuning for the grind that begins with spring
training in two weeks.

“I feel I’m ready to tackle a 200-plus inning season,” said Romero, who logged 178 innings last year.

Maybe I don’t understand the journalism biz, but if I was an editor and my beat guy brought me a “Professional Athlete trains hard before the season” story I’d be tempted to spike that in the name of all dog-bites-man stories that have ever been spiked.

“Bring me a story about some outfielder who developed a Cheetos addiction over the winter,” I’d yell as I chomped on my cigar, J. Jonah Jameson-style,  “and if he doesn’t want to be famous, I’ll make him infamous!”

1. monkeyball - Feb 9, 2010 at 12:26 PM

This just shows that you’ll never be an assignment editor (online or off), b/c dog-bites-man stories are the lifeblood of a beast that demands daily column inches/hourly clickthroughs.
    Of course, that doesn’t mitigate the dog-bites-man-ness of the “best shape of his life” meme, or detract from the quality of your snarking on it. (In fact, snarking about it helps Feed the Beast, as it generates links to the idiot-meme original and provides you and NBC with more content.)

2. Anon - Feb 9, 2010 at 12:28 PM

The best part of the Spider-Man movies is that they introduced the wider world to the great J.K. Simmons, whose J. Jonah Jameson is dead-on perfect.

3. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 9, 2010 at 12:35 PM

His best work was for the HBO show Oz (much like almost every actor in a Law and Order show).

4. Ryan - Feb 9, 2010 at 12:52 PM

I almost miss David Wells now…

5. Stoeten - Feb 9, 2010 at 1:30 PM

“In addition to his throwing sessions, Romero worked out at Athletes’ Performance in suburban Carson, Calif., putting in two-hour sessions four days a week, and fine-tuning for the grind that begins with spring training in two weeks.”
    2 hour sessions four days a week?! I’m a fat **** and spend that much time in the gym a week anyway.

6. BC - Feb 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Paul Newman in “The Hudsucker Proxy” was excellent as well. Great performance and a vastly underrated movie.

7. IdahoMariner - Feb 9, 2010 at 3:08 PM

my thoughts exactly. I think that every time they talk about one of these guys getting into shape in the offseason. What else are they doing? I have a job that requires me to sit on my a** 8-10 hours a day, and a two-year-old, and I make it into the gym as much as this guy, whose job requires him to — be in shape. I’m with Craig on the “and why are you writing about this?” stuff — it’s like they think they should be rewarded for doing the bare minimum for their job, for which they are well paid. Do the article on the cheetos-hound — then we can mock the fool who is tossing away his paycheck. much more fun, and less personally aggravating.
    please excuse the rant. must be all those healthy endorphins from my workout.

8. Cristie Stopka - Mar 2, 2010 at 7:31 AM

Lol this reminds me of that quote “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2833)