Feb 9, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Scott Boras has been taking a beating over the fate of Johnny Damon this offseason, but he’s not deterred. In fact today he has offered a couple of Black-Knight-in-Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-style “have at yous!” First in the Detroit Free Press:
Although Damon, 36, has been a free agent since November, Boras said
the market for him really didn’t develop until it became clear the
Yankees wouldn’t re-sign him. Then, said Boras, “We got four or five
offers right away.” Boras declined to identify which clubs made offers or how much interest they have subsequently shown.
Dude. Your arm’s off.
In other news, Boras was just on XM’s Home Plate show. I don’t have the transcript or anything, but Jason at IIATMS relayed some of it on Twitter. He basically
put Damon’s current unemployment on owners who simply aren’t willing to
do what’s necessary for their team to win. He also said “Johnny Damon has many opportunities to play” and that he’s “not worried about where.”
Look, you fight with the strength of many men, Sir Knight, but you are beaten. Stand aside, worthy adversary, and take one of those “four or five” offers you have and stop this silly PR onslaught.
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 8
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)