Feb 9, 2010, 3:20 PM EDT
Scott Boras has been taking a beating over the fate of Johnny Damon this offseason, but he’s not deterred. In fact today he has offered a couple of Black-Knight-in-Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-style “have at yous!” First in the Detroit Free Press:
Although Damon, 36, has been a free agent since November, Boras said
the market for him really didn’t develop until it became clear the
Yankees wouldn’t re-sign him. Then, said Boras, “We got four or five
offers right away.” Boras declined to identify which clubs made offers or how much interest they have subsequently shown.
Dude. Your arm’s off.
In other news, Boras was just on XM’s Home Plate show. I don’t have the transcript or anything, but Jason at IIATMS relayed some of it on Twitter. He basically
put Damon’s current unemployment on owners who simply aren’t willing to
do what’s necessary for their team to win. He also said “Johnny Damon has many opportunities to play” and that he’s “not worried about where.”
Look, you fight with the strength of many men, Sir Knight, but you are beaten. Stand aside, worthy adversary, and take one of those “four or five” offers you have and stop this silly PR onslaught.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)