Feb 9, 2010, 3:20 PM EST
Scott Boras has been taking a beating over the fate of Johnny Damon this offseason, but he’s not deterred. In fact today he has offered a couple of Black-Knight-in-Monty-Python-and-the-Holy-Grail-style “have at yous!” First in the Detroit Free Press:
Although Damon, 36, has been a free agent since November, Boras said
the market for him really didn’t develop until it became clear the
Yankees wouldn’t re-sign him. Then, said Boras, “We got four or five
offers right away.” Boras declined to identify which clubs made offers or how much interest they have subsequently shown.
Dude. Your arm’s off.
In other news, Boras was just on XM’s Home Plate show. I don’t have the transcript or anything, but Jason at IIATMS relayed some of it on Twitter. He basically
put Damon’s current unemployment on owners who simply aren’t willing to
do what’s necessary for their team to win. He also said “Johnny Damon has many opportunities to play” and that he’s “not worried about where.”
Look, you fight with the strength of many men, Sir Knight, but you are beaten. Stand aside, worthy adversary, and take one of those “four or five” offers you have and stop this silly PR onslaught.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 44
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)