Feb 9, 2010, 4:27 PM EDT
Fractional ownership suites aren’t the only new things coming to Wrigley Field next year:
Cubs are following the lead of the Boston Red Sox, opening up the space
underneath the right-field bleachers for corporate pregame events, and
for bleacher fans who may want to come down during the game and watch
the action on flat-screen TVs.
pane of one-way glass will separate fans from the right-field batting
cage, allowing them to watch b.p. in the area that Guillen claims has
been a long-time haven for rats.
But wait, there’s more!
will be a “30 percent overall increase in bathroom capacity” and improvements in the womens
bathrooms. Not sure how they measure “capacity.” Not sure I want to know. Also, according to the stadium’s manager the men will also have more room, “but the look won’t change
much.” Thank God, because we all go there for the ambiance.
- Bleacher advertisements. They messed with this last month, but apparently those were just mockups.
- The rectangular, granite slabs on the sides of the outer walls are being taken down and replaced with fencing, which should let more light in.
Sheffield Grill restaurant in the right field corner will be opened up
for fans on game days. Previously, the grill was reserved for corporate
events, which will be moved to Murphy’s Bleachers. Or maybe to that new area under the bleachers. I’m hearing different things here.
- The left field bricks will be replaced. The right field bricks are cool because of the coriolis effect or centripetal force or something. We got guys working on it.
In all seriousness, though, it’s good to see the Rickettseseses taking the Fenway Park approach. Wrigley Field needs lots of work, but it’s worth saving. Moreover, it’s worth saving slowly, piece by piece in a well thought-out manner, rather than doing what they did to Soldier Field and just dropping some spaceship of a modern stadium on top of some of the old walls and calling it a “renovation.”
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 30
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)