Feb 9, 2010, 4:27 PM EST
Fractional ownership suites aren’t the only new things coming to Wrigley Field next year:
Cubs are following the lead of the Boston Red Sox, opening up the space
underneath the right-field bleachers for corporate pregame events, and
for bleacher fans who may want to come down during the game and watch
the action on flat-screen TVs.
pane of one-way glass will separate fans from the right-field batting
cage, allowing them to watch b.p. in the area that Guillen claims has
been a long-time haven for rats.
But wait, there’s more!
will be a “30 percent overall increase in bathroom capacity” and improvements in the womens
bathrooms. Not sure how they measure “capacity.” Not sure I want to know. Also, according to the stadium’s manager the men will also have more room, “but the look won’t change
much.” Thank God, because we all go there for the ambiance.
- Bleacher advertisements. They messed with this last month, but apparently those were just mockups.
- The rectangular, granite slabs on the sides of the outer walls are being taken down and replaced with fencing, which should let more light in.
Sheffield Grill restaurant in the right field corner will be opened up
for fans on game days. Previously, the grill was reserved for corporate
events, which will be moved to Murphy’s Bleachers. Or maybe to that new area under the bleachers. I’m hearing different things here.
- The left field bricks will be replaced. The right field bricks are cool because of the coriolis effect or centripetal force or something. We got guys working on it.
In all seriousness, though, it’s good to see the Rickettseseses taking the Fenway Park approach. Wrigley Field needs lots of work, but it’s worth saving. Moreover, it’s worth saving slowly, piece by piece in a well thought-out manner, rather than doing what they did to Soldier Field and just dropping some spaceship of a modern stadium on top of some of the old walls and calling it a “renovation.”
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 20
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)