Feb 9, 2010, 4:27 PM EDT
Fractional ownership suites aren’t the only new things coming to Wrigley Field next year:
Cubs are following the lead of the Boston Red Sox, opening up the space
underneath the right-field bleachers for corporate pregame events, and
for bleacher fans who may want to come down during the game and watch
the action on flat-screen TVs.
pane of one-way glass will separate fans from the right-field batting
cage, allowing them to watch b.p. in the area that Guillen claims has
been a long-time haven for rats.
But wait, there’s more!
will be a “30 percent overall increase in bathroom capacity” and improvements in the womens
bathrooms. Not sure how they measure “capacity.” Not sure I want to know. Also, according to the stadium’s manager the men will also have more room, “but the look won’t change
much.” Thank God, because we all go there for the ambiance.
- Bleacher advertisements. They messed with this last month, but apparently those were just mockups.
- The rectangular, granite slabs on the sides of the outer walls are being taken down and replaced with fencing, which should let more light in.
Sheffield Grill restaurant in the right field corner will be opened up
for fans on game days. Previously, the grill was reserved for corporate
events, which will be moved to Murphy’s Bleachers. Or maybe to that new area under the bleachers. I’m hearing different things here.
- The left field bricks will be replaced. The right field bricks are cool because of the coriolis effect or centripetal force or something. We got guys working on it.
In all seriousness, though, it’s good to see the Rickettseseses taking the Fenway Park approach. Wrigley Field needs lots of work, but it’s worth saving. Moreover, it’s worth saving slowly, piece by piece in a well thought-out manner, rather than doing what they did to Soldier Field and just dropping some spaceship of a modern stadium on top of some of the old walls and calling it a “renovation.”
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)