Feb 10, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
Some of Brent Mayne’s commenters pointed out to him that the J.T. Snow story from this morning didn’t add up and Mayne quickly and transparently updated. Upshot: he knows it was J.T. and he knows it was the Yankees. He admits he got the circumstances and the outcome wrong, however, and thinks that maybe the tipped pitch resulted in a line out or something.
Fair enough. Like I said in the comments this morning: this ain’t exactly Watergate. It’s just one of those things we all gab about until the baseball happens.
But I gotta say, I’m impressed with Brent Mayne for immediately updating. There are a lot of baseball writers out there who lord their status as Professional Journalists over the bloggers, amateur or otherwise. These same people never admit their mistakes, never make corrections, and charge forward as if they’d never written or uttered a sideways word in their lives. I have almost always found, however, that the bloggers will admit when they’re wrong, offer conspicuous correction and explain themselves when necessary.
In this Mayne is keeping up with the best traditions of the web. We draw and shoot fast, sure, but we also own up when we screw up. Much more human than the alternative, don’t you think?
- J.A. Happ is thriving with the Pirates 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 44
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 68
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 59
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 149
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (150)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)