Feb 10, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
Some of Brent Mayne’s commenters pointed out to him that the J.T. Snow story from this morning didn’t add up and Mayne quickly and transparently updated. Upshot: he knows it was J.T. and he knows it was the Yankees. He admits he got the circumstances and the outcome wrong, however, and thinks that maybe the tipped pitch resulted in a line out or something.
Fair enough. Like I said in the comments this morning: this ain’t exactly Watergate. It’s just one of those things we all gab about until the baseball happens.
But I gotta say, I’m impressed with Brent Mayne for immediately updating. There are a lot of baseball writers out there who lord their status as Professional Journalists over the bloggers, amateur or otherwise. These same people never admit their mistakes, never make corrections, and charge forward as if they’d never written or uttered a sideways word in their lives. I have almost always found, however, that the bloggers will admit when they’re wrong, offer conspicuous correction and explain themselves when necessary.
In this Mayne is keeping up with the best traditions of the web. We draw and shoot fast, sure, but we also own up when we screw up. Much more human than the alternative, don’t you think?
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 17
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Report: Cubs calling up top prospect outfielder Jorge Soler 40
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (89)