Feb 10, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
Some of Brent Mayne’s commenters pointed out to him that the J.T. Snow story from this morning didn’t add up and Mayne quickly and transparently updated. Upshot: he knows it was J.T. and he knows it was the Yankees. He admits he got the circumstances and the outcome wrong, however, and thinks that maybe the tipped pitch resulted in a line out or something.
Fair enough. Like I said in the comments this morning: this ain’t exactly Watergate. It’s just one of those things we all gab about until the baseball happens.
But I gotta say, I’m impressed with Brent Mayne for immediately updating. There are a lot of baseball writers out there who lord their status as Professional Journalists over the bloggers, amateur or otherwise. These same people never admit their mistakes, never make corrections, and charge forward as if they’d never written or uttered a sideways word in their lives. I have almost always found, however, that the bloggers will admit when they’re wrong, offer conspicuous correction and explain themselves when necessary.
In this Mayne is keeping up with the best traditions of the web. We draw and shoot fast, sure, but we also own up when we screw up. Much more human than the alternative, don’t you think?
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 5
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 92
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (93)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)