Feb 10, 2010, 11:45 AM EDT
Craig’s love for Braves prospect Jason Heyward is so strong that he’s forcing himself not to write something about him every hour of every day, so I’m trying to pick up the slack. He’s arguably the best prospect in baseball, after all. Heyward, that is. Calcaterra is slightly lower in most rankings.
Anyway, the latest Heyward hype comes from future teammates Chipper Jones and Brian McCann, who joined the list of people thinking that the 20-year-old outfielder is probably just about ready for the majors despite playing only 50 games above Single-A.
First, here’s Jones:
I saw Andruw [Jones] play a little bit in the minor leagues when he was a 19-year-old kid. He looked like Devon White playing with a bunch of minor leaguers. This Heyward kid looks like Fred McGriff with 20 more pounds on him out in right field. He is built. He is put together. And he means to do some damage when he walks to that plate.
Now here’s McCann:
He looks like a major-league ballplayer already. And his talent is something special. I think he’s ready. I’ve never seen a kid this good. He possesses some things I’ve never seen in someone who is 19 or 20 years old. He’s hitting the ball out 400 feet to left center. If he makes our team, he’s got a chance to be one of our best players. That’s the kind of talent he has.
And finally, here’s Calcaterra:
He’s so dreamy.
OK, so that last one is more like a glimpse into someone’s head rather than an actual quote. Close enough.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)