Garciaparra looking for TV gig, Shaughnessy thrilled

Feb 10, 2010, 11:26 PM EDT

Nomar Garciaparra hasn’t announced he’s retiring yet, but as spring training nears, it’s looking more and more like that decision is being made for him. So what is a six-time All-Star who hasn’t had a good season since 2006 to do?

Well, become a broadcaster of course. According to NESN, Garciaparra auditioned for both ESPN and the MLB Network on Tuesday.

Dan Shaughnessy of the Boston Globe had these kind words to write about Nomar’s potential entry into media life:

What a fraud. Nobody hated the media more with less cause than our guy Nomie.

Judging by this video, it looks like Garciaparra is about as excited to be on TV as he was to talk to Shaughnessy.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your CTB updates here.

1. Ed - Feb 11, 2010 at 12:37 AM

I’m already sick of seeing his weird upper lip grimace. I have nothing against the man, but I’m not feeling this in his future.
    BTW can I just quickly say F ESPN and their lame pre-video ads…I click off the site 95% of the time when that comes on and they can really just take a flying suck off as they continue to lose viewers.

2. Ken - Feb 11, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Gee,Ed! Tell us how you really feel about ESPN! I haven’t heard that ESPN is losing viewers. In fact, with all of the college football and basketball games televised on the network I seriously doubt ESPN is losing viewers. I do agree that Normar is as about as weak as they come in broadcasting. I don’t see him behind the mike or in front of a camera with that smug look! As far as the ESPN commercials they do leave a lot to be desired. My mama could do better and she dead! But back to losing viewers, tell me where you get your facts from and I will concede! Until then don’t go throwing stones when there’s none to be thrown!!!

3. Gelardia - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:21 AM

Hey, I’m just happy the guy can speak clearly. Had no problem with his upper lip or face for that matter. His neck seemed a little weird, the way it was tilted during the closeups. It was like he either has a neck problem or is so bored to be there.

4. Jonny5 - Feb 11, 2010 at 8:52 AM

You guys wouldn’t make these comments if the guy was white!!! http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/lets-start-the-day-with-something-non-controversial-racism.html.php
    BTW….

5. Rays fan - Feb 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM

Just give him a pair of hitting gloves while he’s in the booth–he’ll spend the whole game fidgeting with them, leaving his partner free to announce the entire game uninterrupted. That alone would make him less irritating than Joe Morgan or Tim McCarver.

6. Jeff Adams - Feb 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM

(Bring Nomar Back) to Red Sox 2010

7. Jeff Adams - Feb 11, 2010 at 1:34 PM

( Bring Nomar Back ) 2010

8. BaseballFan2 - Feb 11, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Can he really be worse than anyone else on ESPN? I don’t think so. Just as long as MLB Network doesn’t hire him. Wait, yes, MLB should hire him to replace the stuttering, twitching, head-bobbing Mitch Williams. Nomar would definitely be an upgrade there.

9. wizard of Ozola - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:43 PM

REPLY TO JOHNNY 5. YOU GUYS WON’T DISSING ME WHEN I SLAM DUNK ON YOUR WEAKASS EVEN THOUGH I’M WHITE AND JEWISH. SO GET OVER IT AND GO POUND YOUR RHINO HORN.HOW COME BASEBALL ONLY GOT 3 JEWISH PLAYERS IN 100 YEARS AND 2 WENT TO HOF? GREENBERG AND KOUFAX AND GREEN IS ALL STAR. WHAT’S UP WITH DIS CRAP? THE RACISM IS BY ALL YOU JEW HATERS CALLING US CHRIST KILLERS. I HAVEN’T KILLED NO ONE NAMED JEZUS BUT I STICK A 90 MPH FAST BALL IN HIS EAR AND HE GONNA GET A DIRT NAP FREE OF CHARGE.TRUE.

10. Tall Paul - Feb 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM

You’re kidding, right? Joe Morgan has probably forgotten more about baseball than you and I will ever know. I think McCarver’s only problem (and it’s eventually true for all analysts) is that he’s been around so long that everything he says sounds like a cliche.

11. Rays fan - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Yes, I’m kidding–but there are a number of posters on this site who like to express actual disdain for both McCarver and Morgan.

12. Grant - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Anyone who Dan Shaughnessy hates is AOK with me. Enemy of my enemy and all that.

Also, I don’t know what to think of this Tall Paul/Rays fan exchange, but I personally feel a ton of disdain for both of those guys.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2841)