Feb 10, 2010, 12:42 PM EDT
CSNBayArea.com’s Mychael Urban reports that the Giants have signed Todd Wellemeyer to a minor-league contract with an invite to spring training.
Wellemeyer was briefly one of Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan’s many success stories after being claimed off waivers from the Royals in mid-2007. Purely a reliever at that point, Wellemeyer moved into the Cardinals’ rotation and went 16-10 with a 3.70 ERA in 43 starts through the end of 2008.
Unfortunately his late-career mini-breakout was wrecked by elbow and shoulder problems last season and Wellemeyer went 7-10 with a 5.89 ERA while spending September back in the bullpen. He was initially optimistic about landing a guaranteed deal this offseason, but instead will have to fight for a gig.
The first four spots in San Francisco’s rotation are set in stone with Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Barry Zito, and Jonathan Sanchez, but if healthy Wellemeyer has a chance to claim the fifth spot assuming the Giants prefer to keep stud prospect Madison Bumgarner in the minors a bit longer. A good low-cost pickup for the Giants and a pretty good opportunity for Wellemeyer to get back on track at age 31.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)