Feb 10, 2010, 12:42 PM EST
CSNBayArea.com’s Mychael Urban reports that the Giants have signed Todd Wellemeyer to a minor-league contract with an invite to spring training.
Wellemeyer was briefly one of Cardinals pitching coach Dave Duncan’s many success stories after being claimed off waivers from the Royals in mid-2007. Purely a reliever at that point, Wellemeyer moved into the Cardinals’ rotation and went 16-10 with a 3.70 ERA in 43 starts through the end of 2008.
Unfortunately his late-career mini-breakout was wrecked by elbow and shoulder problems last season and Wellemeyer went 7-10 with a 5.89 ERA while spending September back in the bullpen. He was initially optimistic about landing a guaranteed deal this offseason, but instead will have to fight for a gig.
The first four spots in San Francisco’s rotation are set in stone with Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain, Barry Zito, and Jonathan Sanchez, but if healthy Wellemeyer has a chance to claim the fifth spot assuming the Giants prefer to keep stud prospect Madison Bumgarner in the minors a bit longer. A good low-cost pickup for the Giants and a pretty good opportunity for Wellemeyer to get back on track at age 31.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)