Johnny Damon is ridiculous

Feb 10, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT

One day his agent is proclaiming his love of octopus in order to brown nose the Tigers. The next day he’s texting writers in Atlanta saying that the Braves are at the “top of the list.”

Tampa Bay is allegedly in the running too.  Look for Boras to go on the radio today talking about how much he loves early bird specials and the Gasparilla Pirate Festival.

Aaargh.

1. Big Z - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:59 AM

On XM yesterday, Boras proclaimed Damon the best second place hitter in the game. I’m going to do some research on that one later today, but what’s your impression of that statement?

2. Charles Gates - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:03 AM

I once, many moons ago, asked a great number of women to be my date for the prom. I ended up taking the one who is quite possibly the antithesis of my one true love, besides my finance (I call her such because of how much that sparkley piece of carbon cost), Amber Theoharris.
    Moral of the story: If you cast a big net, you’ll get something, though perhaps an old boot instead of tasty piece of ahi tuna.

3. YankeesfanLen - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:15 AM

This would be a good time to have a rerview of the festival, given his penchant, no doubt, for going to Tampa to watch the USN getting bombarded with Cuban bread and black bean soup.
    Johnny WHO?

4. ecp - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Ah yes…my daily reminder of why I hate Johnny Damon.

5. Ryan - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM

That may or may not be true in reality, but its true in Boras’ mind. There is probably some stat, somewhere that says that yes, JD is the best #2 hitter in baseball. But take it with a grain of salt because that stat might be something like ‘#2 hitter-outfielders between the ages of 34-38 who hit left handed and who ate General Tso’s chicken and had sex with their wife the night before.’ In other words, a worthless stat.

6. Bobby Townsend - Feb 10, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I have had many a women tell me I am the best second place hitter they ever had.

7. roce96 - Feb 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I don’t believe a word Boras says. He’s basically a salesman of sports players. He’ll say and do whatever it takes to move his product.

8. JeffH - Feb 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM

If no team makes an offer for Damon, I wonder if Boras will try to bring a collusion case against MLB.

9. BC - Feb 10, 2010 at 11:45 AM

I’m telling ya… back to the Yankees, $4mil for 1 year with a team option at $4mil for a 2nd year. Boras is just playing the Yankees to see what they offer. It’s all a game.

10. YANKEES1996 - Feb 10, 2010 at 12:50 PM

BC, no way I don’t see it happening. What are the Yankees going to do with Winn and Thames?, and he cannot DH because of Nick Johnson.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3997)