Justin Verlander: Jeremy Bonderman looks good

Feb 10, 2010, 6:00 PM EST

Jeremy Bonderman.jpgGive a guy $80 million and he’ll wear any hat you want him to. Starter. Team leader. Scout:

Justin Verlander said the throws have life on them, more than he
saw last year. He talked about making adjustments, going back to the
basics. He’s really excited about the progress. He wasn’t talking about himself. He was talking about Jeremy Bonderman . . .

. . . “We play catch together most of the time, and he’s got a lot of life on
the ball,” Verlander said last week. “And that’s something that I
hadn’t seen over the last year or so. I’m really excited about where
he’s headed.”

Verlander, Porcello, Scherzer are a nice start, but an effective Jeremy Bonderman could be the difference between Detroit winning the division or coming in third.

Still, we’re deep into “best shape of his life” season, so it’s too early to get excited about this sort of thing.

1. BC - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM

I’m in the BEST SHAPE OF MY LIFE right now as well. Unfortunately that shape is ROUND with respect to my middle….
    When will baseball players realize (PED’s aside) that being workout freaks doesn’t make you a great player.
    Gabe Kapler is an example – he is a role player, generally good
    at all things (maybe short on speed at this point in his career). Yes, he can bench 500 and has 3 percent body fat and is built like a brick bleephouse. But he’s been that way his whole career. And he’s still playing and a productive player. That’s what works for him.
    Whatever the routine you have that got you there, do it.
    You get into a routine and groove and go with it. Prince Fielder, David Wells, CC Sabathia… in shape, or not? In baseball shape, I’d say yes.
    Performance doesn’t lie. Whatever works.

2. BC - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Gabe Kapler is an example – he is a role player, generally good
    Whatever the routine you have that got you there, do it.
    Tim Lincecum, a guy who weighs 150 getting out of the shower (including the wet towel)… baseball shape? Yes. Dustin Pedroia, little dude, baseball shape? Um, yes.
    To me, you can be a Rhombic Triacontahedron as far as shape. What matters is what you do on the field.
    PS below for those of you playing at home

3. BC - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Well that was odd. Damn thing posted two drafts of mine. Great, makes me sound twice as stoooopid.

4. woody - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:52 PM

don’t see why bonderman couldn’t comeback from his injury. the tiger rotation has the potential to be very, very good. whether they can all be productive and healthy at the same time is the big question.

5. BC - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Well my Drew (again, not JD or Steven) looks good but I don’t think she’ll end up being the Tigers’ 4th starter. She could, however be my Mets 4th starter. I gotta get Minaya on the phone.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4783)
  2. M. Kemp (3782)
  3. M. Cabrera (2954)
  4. J. Kang (2946)
  5. J. Upton (2703)
  1. M. Morse (2651)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2406)
  3. C. McGehee (2346)