Feb 10, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
Give a guy $80 million and he’ll wear any hat you want him to. Starter. Team leader. Scout:
Justin Verlander said the throws have life on them, more than he
saw last year. He talked about making adjustments, going back to the
basics. He’s really excited about the progress. He wasn’t talking about himself. He was talking about Jeremy Bonderman . . .
. . . “We play catch together most of the time, and he’s got a lot of life on
the ball,” Verlander said last week. “And that’s something that I
hadn’t seen over the last year or so. I’m really excited about where
Verlander, Porcello, Scherzer are a nice start, but an effective Jeremy Bonderman could be the difference between Detroit winning the division or coming in third.
Still, we’re deep into “best shape of his life” season, so it’s too early to get excited about this sort of thing.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 75
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 41
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)