Feb 10, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT
Tyler Kepner tweets that the offer the Braves have made Johnny Damon is not quite the $5 million reported earlier in the day. Rather, it’s $2 million now, $2 million deferred. If he takes it I’ll have to update the last post to reflect the fact that his haircut is something more than $75
As I’ve said before: the Braves fan in me would love to see Damon on the team for that kind of money. It would immediately fix the team’s biggest weakness and make them a way bigger threat to the Phillies than they stand to be as constructed. On the other hand, the longer Damon stays unemployed the longer we can all make fun of Boras and that’s been great sport, hasn’t it?
Oh well, I suppose that has to end someday, so swallow your pride and take the offer Johnny. I’ll even give your agent some free spin doctoring advice: take the $2 million deferred, put it in 30-year Treasuries, and then tell everyone you got a lifetime contract.
Scotty would use that. Don’t tell me he wouldn’t.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 54
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 65
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)