Feb 10, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT
Tyler Kepner tweets that the offer the Braves have made Johnny Damon is not quite the $5 million reported earlier in the day. Rather, it’s $2 million now, $2 million deferred. If he takes it I’ll have to update the last post to reflect the fact that his haircut is something more than $75
As I’ve said before: the Braves fan in me would love to see Damon on the team for that kind of money. It would immediately fix the team’s biggest weakness and make them a way bigger threat to the Phillies than they stand to be as constructed. On the other hand, the longer Damon stays unemployed the longer we can all make fun of Boras and that’s been great sport, hasn’t it?
Oh well, I suppose that has to end someday, so swallow your pride and take the offer Johnny. I’ll even give your agent some free spin doctoring advice: take the $2 million deferred, put it in 30-year Treasuries, and then tell everyone you got a lifetime contract.
Scotty would use that. Don’t tell me he wouldn’t.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)