Report: Damon's offer from the Braves is $2 million now, $2 million deferred

Feb 10, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT

Tyler Kepner tweets that the offer the Braves have made Johnny Damon is not quite the $5 million reported earlier in the day. Rather, it’s $2 million now, $2 million deferred.  If he takes it I’ll have to update the last post to reflect the fact that his haircut is something more than $75 million percent.

As I’ve said before: the Braves fan in me would love to see Damon on the team for that kind of money.  It would immediately fix the team’s biggest weakness and make them a way bigger threat to the Phillies than they stand to be as constructed.  On the other hand, the longer Damon stays unemployed the longer we can all make fun of Boras and that’s been great sport, hasn’t it?

Oh well, I suppose that has to end someday, so swallow your pride and take the offer Johnny. I’ll even give your agent some free spin doctoring advice: take the $2 million deferred, put it in 30-year Treasuries, and then tell everyone you got a lifetime contract.

Scotty would use that. Don’t tell me he wouldn’t.

1. Luis - Feb 10, 2010 at 6:15 PM

What?? You’re hurting my head here man. First you said “haircut” when I assumed you meant “paycut”…now you’re saying “$75 million” when I assume you mean “75%”…not to mention you’re sticking with the haircut thing, which leads me to suspect it’s some sort of attempt at humor.
    Not to be a dick, ’cause I genuinely enjoy about 98% of your writing, but try reading this stuff once or twice before hitting “post.”

2. Paul - Feb 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM

You see, Luis, haircut is a common term to use to indicate someone is giving a discount. Also, you will recall Boras was talking initially talking about 4 years at like $20 mil per, or $80 million. Hence, Damon is taking a haircut in excess of $75 million if he takes the Braves’ offer.

3. Chris - Feb 10, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Thanks to Paul for filling in the mortar. Memo to Luis: I’m not hip enought to get what he was saying either.
    If Damon isn’t over the hill, I’d love to see him in a Braves uni’.
    I’m old enough to remember many of the past-their-prime stars the Braves have signed: Jeff Burroughs, Bruce Sutter, Nick Esasky (Vertigo?? Really??), and more recently Mike Hampton.
    But what do I know? I wasn’t too sure about them bringing in Terry Pendleton, Sid “Scooter” Bream and the Boo-Boo to his Yogi, Rafael Belliard. I recall that turned out okay.
    GO BRAVES!!

4. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 10, 2010 at 7:42 PM

Paul was right on haircut. Luis was right on “million” vs. “percent.” That was a mistake that’s now fixed.
    And Luis does have a point about my editing: I tend to post quickly and don’t always double check. That’s the price I (and occasionally you) have to pay for me having a headfull of ideas driving me insane.

5. Old Gator - Feb 10, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Don’t encourage that non-sequitur spewing fool, Paul. He’s idiomatically challenged.
    Craig: Scotty would beam you up and Kirk, who we all know reads Moby Dick when not in combat, will give you a gratis lesson in atrocious extenuated metaphors. Then he’d beam you back again and be done with you.
    Albuquerque is great, by the way. That meteorological aberration called “winter” is encroaching, with snow…that’s the white stuff, right?…due overnight. Haven’t seen that anywhere but on the weather channel, where I’m not paying attention anyway if Nicole Mitchell isn’t onscreen.
    TF, if you’re out there: the Fordham music prof who cochairs the Grateful Dead sessions is Mark Mattson.
    Also, food-wise: when in Albuquerque never miss the huevos con carne adovado at Little Anita’s in Old Town. Great way to start the day, even if you wind up fumigating your rental car sometime around midday. If you’re from Feeladelfia, you might prefer the carne de caballo y queso sucedaneo con pan, though. It’ll make you feel right at home. The weird Spanish dialect they speak out here is different enough from Macondo’s Cubanized Spanish that it took me a few minutes to get my bearings. Once I picked up on the Navajo inflections, though, it was pretty much OK.
    I have to play catch-up with the blogs later tonight, if possible. Been busy at the sessions and the server for the wi-fi here at the hotel has been crapping out on us like a landfill gull.

6. BC - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:43 PM

So now the Yankees come in for the same deal at $3mil on each side and they nab Damon. Up it to $4mil if needed. It’s all playing out as Boras scripted it.

7. Yankeefan82 - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:46 PM

Didn’t Damon turn down a 6 million dollar offer from the Yankees only a few weeks ago? I believe the structure was similar as well with half being deferred. Way to go Johnny, it looks like you’ll be taking less money and playing for a team who has less of a chance at the World Series.
    Make sure you send a thank you note to Boras.

8. Booner - Feb 11, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Huh??

9. Luis - Feb 11, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Exactly.
    You see, our esteemed Gator seems to have Craig’s blog confused with his own personal Facebook page, where everyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for the latest update on what he ate for breakfast.

10. edward - Feb 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Damon’s contract would have been done with the yankees if boras hadn’t put his two cents in. If he was smart he woul of told him to go and f- himself just like alex did a while back. Look what happened he negotiated his own deal while boras looked like an ass.
    Johnny should have done the same thing and he would still be our no#2 hitter. But ther is no loss at the two spot with johnsons 400+ on bae percentage.

11. Talex - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Gee, and he turned down 2 years at 14m from the Yankees. Way to read the market Mr. Boras! You’re an idiot!

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5536)