Feb 10, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT
Tyler Kepner tweets that the offer the Braves have made Johnny Damon is not quite the $5 million reported earlier in the day. Rather, it’s $2 million now, $2 million deferred. If he takes it I’ll have to update the last post to reflect the fact that his haircut is something more than $75
As I’ve said before: the Braves fan in me would love to see Damon on the team for that kind of money. It would immediately fix the team’s biggest weakness and make them a way bigger threat to the Phillies than they stand to be as constructed. On the other hand, the longer Damon stays unemployed the longer we can all make fun of Boras and that’s been great sport, hasn’t it?
Oh well, I suppose that has to end someday, so swallow your pride and take the offer Johnny. I’ll even give your agent some free spin doctoring advice: take the $2 million deferred, put it in 30-year Treasuries, and then tell everyone you got a lifetime contract.
Scotty would use that. Don’t tell me he wouldn’t.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)