Feb 10, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT
Tyler Kepner tweets that the offer the Braves have made Johnny Damon is not quite the $5 million reported earlier in the day. Rather, it’s $2 million now, $2 million deferred. If he takes it I’ll have to update the last post to reflect the fact that his haircut is something more than $75
As I’ve said before: the Braves fan in me would love to see Damon on the team for that kind of money. It would immediately fix the team’s biggest weakness and make them a way bigger threat to the Phillies than they stand to be as constructed. On the other hand, the longer Damon stays unemployed the longer we can all make fun of Boras and that’s been great sport, hasn’t it?
Oh well, I suppose that has to end someday, so swallow your pride and take the offer Johnny. I’ll even give your agent some free spin doctoring advice: take the $2 million deferred, put it in 30-year Treasuries, and then tell everyone you got a lifetime contract.
Scotty would use that. Don’t tell me he wouldn’t.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (136)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)