Feb 10, 2010, 5:35 PM EDT
Tyler Kepner tweets that the offer the Braves have made Johnny Damon is not quite the $5 million reported earlier in the day. Rather, it’s $2 million now, $2 million deferred. If he takes it I’ll have to update the last post to reflect the fact that his haircut is something more than $75
As I’ve said before: the Braves fan in me would love to see Damon on the team for that kind of money. It would immediately fix the team’s biggest weakness and make them a way bigger threat to the Phillies than they stand to be as constructed. On the other hand, the longer Damon stays unemployed the longer we can all make fun of Boras and that’s been great sport, hasn’t it?
Oh well, I suppose that has to end someday, so swallow your pride and take the offer Johnny. I’ll even give your agent some free spin doctoring advice: take the $2 million deferred, put it in 30-year Treasuries, and then tell everyone you got a lifetime contract.
Scotty would use that. Don’t tell me he wouldn’t.
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 0
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 31
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 53
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)