Feb 10, 2010, 2:37 PM EST
UPDATE: Maybe the debunking needs debunking. The NYT’s Tyler Kepner notes
that no reporter is closer to Chien-Ming Wang than Pete Abraham is, and
he backs Abe’s report that the Nats and Wang are going to get
together. Perhaps all that happened after Abe’s report was that a
nervous agent merely told some people that nothing formal can be
And it does seem that other suitors are out of the picture. Two hours ago Heyman reported that the Dodgers were interested in Wang. Then, an hour ago he reported
that L.A. “pulled out of the Wang debry.” Of course, given that there
may be a deal with Washington already there, it’s possible that Wang
10:13 A.M.: Buster Olney and others are now debunking Abraham’s report. The story remains: the Nats are a “finalist” but Wang hasn’t made up his mind and probably won’t for 7-10 days.
As you were.
8:55 A.M.: Pete Abraham tweets that Chien-Ming Wang has decided to accept an offer from the Nationals.
Good move for the Nats. He’s probably not going to cost a ton, and he’ll be around later in the season when their young guys could use some innings relief. Still don’t know why the Dodgers or Mets didn’t take a flyer on him.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)