UPDATE: OK, maybe Wang and the Nats do have a deal

Feb 10, 2010, 2:37 PM EST

UPDATE:  Maybe the debunking needs debunking.  The NYT’s Tyler Kepner notes
that no reporter is closer to Chien-Ming Wang than Pete Abraham is, and
he backs Abe’s report that the Nats and Wang are going to get
together.  Perhaps all that happened after Abe’s report was that a
nervous agent merely told some people that nothing formal can be
announced yet.

And it does seem that other suitors are out of the picture. Two hours ago Heyman reported that the Dodgers were interested in Wang. Then, an hour ago he reported
that L.A. “pulled out of the Wang debry.” Of course, given that there
may be a deal with Washington already there, it’s possible that Wang
pulled out.

What?

10:13 A.M.: Buster Olney and others are now debunking Abraham’s report. The story remains: the Nats are a “finalist” but Wang hasn’t made up his mind and probably won’t for 7-10 days.

As you were.

8:55 A.M.: Pete Abraham tweets that Chien-Ming Wang has decided to accept an offer from the Nationals.

Good move for the Nats.  He’s probably not going to cost a ton, and he’ll be around later in the season when their young guys could use some innings relief.  Still don’t know why the Dodgers or Mets didn’t take a flyer on him.

1. Jonny5 - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Or the Phills…… When do Jamie moyers wheels finally fall off? Ehh, maybe Kendrick, Conteras, or Madson will be able to step up and give the old man a rest every other week. I hope….

2. Todd Boss - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Congratulations Craig, for the first time you managed to put out a report on the Nationals that wasn’t sarcastic, hypocritical or otherwise ignorant of the reasoning behind Rizzo’s moves this offseason.

3. YX - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:47 AM

Coincidentally, (or ironically?) it is also (for the the first time?) wrong.

4. FrankM - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Hi Mets fans. I am now sure we will come in dead last in the NL East.
    Great off season work by the Wilpons and Minaya. How much are those season tickets going for ?

5. Omar Minaya - Feb 10, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Mr. Wilpon… pleeeeeeeeeeease can I sign him? I will do the dishes and clean my room every day!!

6. Stuart - Feb 10, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Craig,
    Reporting here from Maryland outside DC. While clearing snow away from my heat pump I got down through 30+ inches of snow to the lawn, and it’s April Green!
    As a result of all the snow shoveling over the last week I’m in the best shape of my life.

7. Big fan - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Wang was historically bad in 2009 http://www.mlbexpertanalysis.com/blog/

8. Fish - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:36 PM

juvenile connotative image of the day:
    Wang Derby

9. gumbercules - Feb 10, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Nah, I’d go with “Wang pulls out” in that regard. Hehehe.

10. mens moccasin slippers - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Really? Don’t get me wrong, I’m in agreement with you partly, but when you say something like this you actually need to be ready to defend it.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester