Feb 10, 2010, 2:37 PM EST
UPDATE: Maybe the debunking needs debunking. The NYT’s Tyler Kepner notes
that no reporter is closer to Chien-Ming Wang than Pete Abraham is, and
he backs Abe’s report that the Nats and Wang are going to get
together. Perhaps all that happened after Abe’s report was that a
nervous agent merely told some people that nothing formal can be
And it does seem that other suitors are out of the picture. Two hours ago Heyman reported that the Dodgers were interested in Wang. Then, an hour ago he reported
that L.A. “pulled out of the Wang debry.” Of course, given that there
may be a deal with Washington already there, it’s possible that Wang
10:13 A.M.: Buster Olney and others are now debunking Abraham’s report. The story remains: the Nats are a “finalist” but Wang hasn’t made up his mind and probably won’t for 7-10 days.
As you were.
8:55 A.M.: Pete Abraham tweets that Chien-Ming Wang has decided to accept an offer from the Nationals.
Good move for the Nats. He’s probably not going to cost a ton, and he’ll be around later in the season when their young guys could use some innings relief. Still don’t know why the Dodgers or Mets didn’t take a flyer on him.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)