Sheffield considers offers 'on the table'

Feb 10, 2010, 9:50 PM EDT

Gary Sheffield tells the New York Post that he’s in “tip-top shape,” having lost 15 pounds, and is considering some “things on the table” to return for a 23rd season.

The former Brewer-Padre-Marlin-Dodger-Brave-Yankee-Tiger-Met, who has 509 career home runs to go with an impressive .292/.393/.514 line, said he has not made up his mind whether to play another season, wondering if it’s “worth it.”

“I am in tip-top shape,” Sheffield said. “I am healthy and I have been working to get back to where I need to be. I am feeling great and I lost 15 pounds, down to 212.”

Feeling good enough to play the outfield regularly?

“At 212, I could run for days,” said Sheffield.

Sheffield didn’t say which teams had contacted him, but did say that the Mets were not one of them. And before you Mets fans out there breathe a sigh of relief, realize that Sheff was second on the team last season with a whopping 10 home runs. Beggars can’t be choosers. Maybe Omar should get on the phone.

Are you on Twitter? You can follow Bob here, and get all your CTB updates here.

1. BC - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:10 PM

The last time I was in “tip top shape” and had “an offer on the table” it involved some sort of table arrangement at an adult establishment as part of my stag party in 2000. I’ve been divorced for two years and am horribly out of shape now, so
    that whole deal obviously was an epic fail….
    Mr. Sheffield, you should just RETIRE. Enjoy the days off, rounds of golf, shuffleboard and daquiris….

2. Omar Minaya - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:15 PM

Mr. Wilpon…. can I get you Gary Sheffield as a Valentine’s Day present? I promise to clean my room, brush my teeth, do my chores and be nice to Uncle Jeff and to Mr. Manuel. Pleeeease???

3. King Metropolitan - Feb 10, 2010 at 10:55 PM

If Sheffield is on this Mets team this year, something went wrong somewhere.

4. Nasty Boy - Feb 10, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Gary , get a grip, its over. If Damon can’t get a job , where in Gods name do you fit in. There’s an old saying : “your reputation precedes you” you’ve slammed every team you’ve been with,and your a malcontent that’s not needed in any clubhouse. Gary , as the great Roy Orbison song goes, ITS OVER, ITS OVER, ITS OVER. ciao!!!

5. Cru11 - Feb 11, 2010 at 1:56 AM

“Sheffield didn’t say which teams had contacted him”
    I am so tired of this phrase. Piss or get off the pot! I don’t understand the reasoning behind this strategy. Maybe someone can help me out.

6. Gelardia - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:30 AM

So is Sheffield a HOF’er?

7. JLM - Feb 11, 2010 at 5:26 AM

“I’m really excited to be a, wait who am I signing with? Anyway I’ve always wanted to be a, wait who am I signing with? Well I’ve always wanted to retire a, wait who am I signing with….”

8. smokehouse - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:29 AM

Go away, you’re a blight on any team, and that’s many, you ever played for. You could have had a hall of fame career but you threw that away a long time ago.

9. Bobby Townsend - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:29 AM

He just wants to get to 3000 hits and continue to get paid. That’s the only reason he would want to return. He has had offers from other teams???? If he won’t name the teams, it is not worth mentioning

10. Jamie - Feb 11, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Gary Sheffield is in the best shape of his life.

11. rick - Feb 11, 2010 at 11:13 AM

No. He juiced.He’s compromised, but if he still wants to play, maybe the Nationals?

12. John - Feb 11, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Pirates!!! ;-)

13. Richard - Feb 11, 2010 at 2:49 PM

So true, perhaps Willie Mays is is top shape and would like to fill in for Beltran in the Mets youth movement

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3520)