Feb 10, 2010, 5:06 PM EDT
SI’s Jon Heyman makes a list of the winners and losers of the 2009-10 free agent class. The winners include Matt Holliday, John Lackey, those catchers who got overpaid, Ben Sheets and all of the utility players who got pretty decent deals for utility players. The losers include Joel Piniero, Adam LaRoche, Vlad Guerrero, Jim Thome and others who got less than they were asking for.
Good lists. Can’t say as I disagree with Heyman’s analysis as far as it goes. It’s just that someone is missing. Some guy who should have and could have signed a nice deal by now but didn’t due to some giant miscalculation, hubris or both. Someone who’s staring a 75% haircut in the face despite the fact that he had a good year in 2009. Sorry I’m blanking here. Name’s on the tip on my tongue . . .
In Heyman’s defense, maybe he’s just refraining from passing judgment on guys who have yet to sign a deal because, hey, their deals may yet surprise you. I mean, it would only be good journalistic form to . . . what? What’s that? Really? He included other players who have yet to sign deals on his “loser” list? Oh dear.
Anyone else got an explanation why Scott Boras’ biggest unemployed client didn’t make the list? Because, quite frankly, I’m stumped.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)