Shouldn't Damon be on Heyman's "free agent losers" list?

Feb 10, 2010, 5:06 PM EDT

SI’s Jon Heyman makes a list of the winners and losers of the 2009-10 free agent class.  The winners include Matt Holliday, John Lackey, those catchers who got overpaid, Ben Sheets and all of the utility players who got pretty decent deals for utility players.  The losers include Joel Piniero, Adam LaRoche, Vlad Guerrero, Jim Thome and others who got less than they were asking for.

Good lists. Can’t say as I disagree with Heyman’s analysis as far as it goes.  It’s just that someone is missing. Some guy who should have and could have signed a nice deal by now but didn’t due to some giant miscalculation, hubris or both. Someone who’s staring a 75% haircut in the face despite the fact that he had a good year in 2009.  Sorry I’m blanking here. Name’s on the tip on my tongue . . .

In Heyman’s defense, maybe he’s just refraining from passing judgment on guys who have yet to sign a deal because, hey, their deals may yet surprise you. I mean, it would only be good journalistic form to . . . what? What’s that?  Really?  He included other players who have yet to sign deals on his “loser” list?  Oh dear.

Anyone else got an explanation why Scott Boras’ biggest unemployed client didn’t make the list? Because, quite frankly, I’m stumped.

1. ecp - Feb 10, 2010 at 5:24 PM

Not necessarily. What if the Yankees will wind up paying him 2 years/$26 million just like he wanted? Just, you know, so they don’t lose him to another team?
    /sarcasm

2. d - Feb 10, 2010 at 5:26 PM

as Boras’s mouthpiece, you think Boras would let him print something like that? :)

3. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Feb 10, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I’m working on convincing my slowpitch softball team to pony up enough cash to sign him to a one-year, incentive-heavy deal that could net him up to $15 million.

But he’ll have to earn it, dammit!

4. Sonny Mooks - Feb 10, 2010 at 5:31 PM

LOL, as soon as I saw the title, I assumed Damon would be first, as soon as I saw the byline was Heyman, I wondered how he would spin Damon. Instead of twisting himself into knots, he simply left Damon out.
    Sometimes I wonder if SI has no shame in having one of their reporters journalistic integrity so blatantly compromised by an agent.

5. Erik - Feb 10, 2010 at 6:45 PM

Heyman in fact referred to the “Damon Derby” at the end of that article, implying the reason Damon hasn’t signed is the fierce competition between teams for his services. This backs up the idea that Heyman is just a patsy for Boras, talking about “3-4 teams in on Damon” or something like that. What I imagine is the derby to the door when teams hear what Damon still expects contractwise.

6. Jonny5 - Feb 10, 2010 at 7:05 PM

What’s the pay to be “Boras’s bitch” anyway? Damon Derby my butt. More like a “weenie roast”.

7. Mike - Feb 10, 2010 at 7:07 PM

d, Sonny, and Erik are totally right. Heyman is never going to print anything that claims that Boras made a mistake. He’s WORTHLESS when it comes to news/rumors/evaluation of any Boras client.

8. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I haven’t seen a sports “journalist” suck up to a sports celebrity like this since Ahmad Rashad was Michael Jordan’s bitch.

9. BC - Feb 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Ben Sheets gets $10mil and Damon is offered $2mil. OK… which guy actually was ON THE FIELD last year and was a major part of a playoff and championship run?? Cripe, I could see the numbers reversed.
    Nice job Bor-ass…

10. Old Gator - Feb 11, 2010 at 2:00 AM

‘Course you realize that we’re this far away (holds thumb and forefinger just far enough apart to permit light to pass through) from calling Howard Cosell Muhammad Ali’s bitch.

11. angry Bill - Feb 11, 2010 at 9:19 AM

1)You can barely see Borass mouth move when Heyman speaks.
    2)The puppet master always controls a puppets strings.
    3)The organ grinder must keep his monkey in line.

12. Conor - Feb 11, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Does anyone read Heyman anymore? I don’t know if you could pay me to click on anything he writes. He just doesn’t offer anything either in the way of analysis or breaking news since his “sources” pretty much use him as their mouthpiece. I know writing for SI gives one their air of legitimacy, but at this point, hasn’t Heyman pretty much written himself out of that?

13. angry Bill - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:28 PM

good think heyman doen’t let you comment on his propaganda!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3409)