Feb 10, 2010, 5:06 PM EDT
SI’s Jon Heyman makes a list of the winners and losers of the 2009-10 free agent class. The winners include Matt Holliday, John Lackey, those catchers who got overpaid, Ben Sheets and all of the utility players who got pretty decent deals for utility players. The losers include Joel Piniero, Adam LaRoche, Vlad Guerrero, Jim Thome and others who got less than they were asking for.
Good lists. Can’t say as I disagree with Heyman’s analysis as far as it goes. It’s just that someone is missing. Some guy who should have and could have signed a nice deal by now but didn’t due to some giant miscalculation, hubris or both. Someone who’s staring a 75% haircut in the face despite the fact that he had a good year in 2009. Sorry I’m blanking here. Name’s on the tip on my tongue . . .
In Heyman’s defense, maybe he’s just refraining from passing judgment on guys who have yet to sign a deal because, hey, their deals may yet surprise you. I mean, it would only be good journalistic form to . . . what? What’s that? Really? He included other players who have yet to sign deals on his “loser” list? Oh dear.
Anyone else got an explanation why Scott Boras’ biggest unemployed client didn’t make the list? Because, quite frankly, I’m stumped.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 5
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)