Feb 10, 2010, 5:06 PM EDT
SI’s Jon Heyman makes a list of the winners and losers of the 2009-10 free agent class. The winners include Matt Holliday, John Lackey, those catchers who got overpaid, Ben Sheets and all of the utility players who got pretty decent deals for utility players. The losers include Joel Piniero, Adam LaRoche, Vlad Guerrero, Jim Thome and others who got less than they were asking for.
Good lists. Can’t say as I disagree with Heyman’s analysis as far as it goes. It’s just that someone is missing. Some guy who should have and could have signed a nice deal by now but didn’t due to some giant miscalculation, hubris or both. Someone who’s staring a 75% haircut in the face despite the fact that he had a good year in 2009. Sorry I’m blanking here. Name’s on the tip on my tongue . . .
In Heyman’s defense, maybe he’s just refraining from passing judgment on guys who have yet to sign a deal because, hey, their deals may yet surprise you. I mean, it would only be good journalistic form to . . . what? What’s that? Really? He included other players who have yet to sign deals on his “loser” list? Oh dear.
Anyone else got an explanation why Scott Boras’ biggest unemployed client didn’t make the list? Because, quite frankly, I’m stumped.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)