Feb 10, 2010, 5:06 PM EDT
SI’s Jon Heyman makes a list of the winners and losers of the 2009-10 free agent class. The winners include Matt Holliday, John Lackey, those catchers who got overpaid, Ben Sheets and all of the utility players who got pretty decent deals for utility players. The losers include Joel Piniero, Adam LaRoche, Vlad Guerrero, Jim Thome and others who got less than they were asking for.
Good lists. Can’t say as I disagree with Heyman’s analysis as far as it goes. It’s just that someone is missing. Some guy who should have and could have signed a nice deal by now but didn’t due to some giant miscalculation, hubris or both. Someone who’s staring a 75% haircut in the face despite the fact that he had a good year in 2009. Sorry I’m blanking here. Name’s on the tip on my tongue . . .
In Heyman’s defense, maybe he’s just refraining from passing judgment on guys who have yet to sign a deal because, hey, their deals may yet surprise you. I mean, it would only be good journalistic form to . . . what? What’s that? Really? He included other players who have yet to sign deals on his “loser” list? Oh dear.
Anyone else got an explanation why Scott Boras’ biggest unemployed client didn’t make the list? Because, quite frankly, I’m stumped.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 58
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)