$100 million over five years will not lock up Prince Fielder

Feb 11, 2010, 11:20 AM EDT

prince fielder hr celebration.jpgThere are no offers on the table and no negotiations afoot — hell, Prince Fielder isn’t even eligible for free agency until the 2011 season is complete — but the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Gary Howard is daydreaming about the Brewers locking him up all the same, building up to this:

So I figure a sweet, five-year, $100 million offer (even you can’t
afford seven, like his agent, Scott “Pay Me!” Boras, would prefer) with
incentives might, just might, get ‘er done. He’s not the “I” in team,
no; he’s just the T, the E, the A and the M . . . It’s just that – without any inside dope on his intentions – I
feel he would take a five-year deal at $20 million per to see what he
could do with the Brewers. Every great baseball player wants to be the
straw. And by anyone’s standards, Prince is just that for this Crew but
maybe not for another club, incentive enough to re-sign with Milwaukee.

I like the optimism, but the odds of the Scott Boras-repped Prince Fielder accepting a $100 million deal two years before he reaches the market is absurd.  He’ll be 27 when he reaches free agency.  The last under-30, Scott Boras free agent first baseman — a fellow by the name of Mark Teixeira — got $180 million.  Sure, Teixeira is the better defender and may age better than the stout young man in Milwaukee, but you can bet your life on the fact that $180 million will be Fielder’s starting point.

Will he get that? Heck, I don’t know, but I think the odds of it happening are greater than the odds of him even responding to a $100 million offer at this early date.

1. Sam - Feb 11, 2010 at 11:34 AM

But Fielder would still be 30 when he hit free agency, and the last 30-year-old Scott Boras free agent — fellow by the name of Matt Holliday — got $120 million. Not sure how it would play out, but it could actually benefit Fielder to get $100 million and still hit FA near his prime that to go FA at 27 and then again at, say, 33 or 34.

2. Matt - Feb 11, 2010 at 12:00 PM

1. Fielder isn’t a free agent for two more seasons, so the comparison to Tex is premature.
    2. Since the Yanks already have Tex, why would they be in the market for another 180 million dollar first baseman
    3. Fielder had the (quite arguably) better season last year, but Braun is still the better player, is locked up, and is “the straw”. He’s the one opening restaurants in Milwaukee; Fielder’s the one with the distasteful agent and pending hostage negotiations. No one in Milwaukee even believes he likes it here. He’s trade bait.

3. Old Gator - Feb 11, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Coming to you live from Mannie’s cafe on legendary Route 66 in Albuquerque, where I have just been served a platter of some of the best homemade corned beef hash and eggs over easy with frijoles refritos in this outer spiral arm of the Milky Way and a real good hot steaming cup of liquid pacemaker to brace me against this unnatural cold. Gimme a second here to bust the yellows over the hash, shpritz the tabasco sauce and we’re good to go.
    Okay, I just wanted to note that that fantastic photo of Fielder and the little Busby Berkley mermaid circle of prostrate Brewers around him reminds me a bit of that sick joke about the faith healer that ends, “I-I-I’m a-awright but Ch-charlie fewl on his ass.”

4. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 11, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Man, I wish I could turn down that kind of money. Life is good Prince, don’t get to greedy sippin the Scott Boras kool aid, ask
    him about Johnny Damon and turning down 14 mil during the season
    in 2009, he may have to sign up to get unemployment benefits now, the economy is bad fellas don’t be too stupid, but do get paid.

5. scatterbrian - Feb 11, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Fielder is a classic big body guy and history shows these guys fo not age very well. As such Fielder is probably headed to the American League when he does hit free agency. His value may never be higher than it is right now, or at least it’s going to get lower when he hits FA, even though he’ll still be 28. But at that point, comparisons to Mo Vaughn will be much more apt than comparisons to Mark Teixeira. (Amazingly–at least to me–Fielder is listed as 30 lbs heavier than Vaughn, according to B-R.com.)

6. ralf - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM

It’s too soon to gamble on Fielder with a big contract. His hitting stats- especially what he was able to do in his early 20′s- suggest a long and productive career. His body type suggests an early peak and precipitous decline. We won’t know which to expect until the decline actually starts, at which point some team will probably be paying him big money for ’09 David Ortiz-level production, at best.
    Old Gator- how dare you taunt me with a description of New Mexican food. I miss it so much.

7. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM

But a bowl of steaming green chile stew is never too far away, Raif. Close your eyes, click your heels together, and repeat, “No hay lugar como hogar.”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5308)