Feb 11, 2010, 6:46 PM EST
The Angels have agreed to a new deal with free agent Robb Quinlan, writes MLB.com’s Lyle Spencer.
Quinlan was widely expected to depart, probably for the National League, after a third straight season in which he contributed little to the Angels’ cause. The seven-year veteran has spent his entire career in Anaheim, and he was an outstanding bench player in 2006, when he hit .321/.344/.491 in 234 at-bats. However, in the three years since, he’s posted OPSs of 652, 637 and 614.
The thinking was that Quinlan would be more useful to an NL team, but no one offered him a guaranteed deal. Instead, he’s settling for a minor league pact and a chance to battle for a spot on the Angels. Barring more additions, it looks like Terry Evans, Reggie Willits, Quinlan, Freddy Sandoval, Chris Pettit and Bobby Wilson will compete for two bench jobs. Evans and Wilson will have the advantage of being out of options.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)