Feb 11, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
My entry earlier this week about Lenny Dykstra’s financial situation received 142 comments, so I figure everyone is interested in a follow up via some nice digging by SportsByBrooks.com.
In addition to filing personal bankruptcy after reportedly losing up to $100 million, Dykstra apparently was given control of the $737,000 signing bonus that his son Cutter Dykstra received for being the Brewers’ first-round pick in 2008.
Two years ago in an interview Cutter said: “I just gave him my check, and he will invest some of it for me.”
At the time Lenny was rolling in dough, so it probably seemed like a good idea. And since then? No official details on what happened to the money, but Lenny reportedly “had to be removed by police as he was attempting to make contact with his son” at a minor-league game in August. I’ll go out on a limb and guess that he didn’t turn the $737,000 into $5 million.
A source told SportsByBrooks.com that Cutter’s money was placed in a joint account with Lenny at an Atlanta bank where he now has a $3.5 million debt. And unfortunately Cutter Dykstra hit just .234 with a measly .659 OPS between rookie-ball and Single-A last season, so that bonus money may prove to be the bulk of his career earnings.
Amazingly, it appears “Lenny Dykstra on parenting” may actually give “Lenny Dykstra on investing” a run for worst possible source of advice.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 34
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)