Feb 11, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
My entry earlier this week about Lenny Dykstra’s financial situation received 142 comments, so I figure everyone is interested in a follow up via some nice digging by SportsByBrooks.com.
In addition to filing personal bankruptcy after reportedly losing up to $100 million, Dykstra apparently was given control of the $737,000 signing bonus that his son Cutter Dykstra received for being the Brewers’ first-round pick in 2008.
Two years ago in an interview Cutter said: “I just gave him my check, and he will invest some of it for me.”
At the time Lenny was rolling in dough, so it probably seemed like a good idea. And since then? No official details on what happened to the money, but Lenny reportedly “had to be removed by police as he was attempting to make contact with his son” at a minor-league game in August. I’ll go out on a limb and guess that he didn’t turn the $737,000 into $5 million.
A source told SportsByBrooks.com that Cutter’s money was placed in a joint account with Lenny at an Atlanta bank where he now has a $3.5 million debt. And unfortunately Cutter Dykstra hit just .234 with a measly .659 OPS between rookie-ball and Single-A last season, so that bonus money may prove to be the bulk of his career earnings.
Amazingly, it appears “Lenny Dykstra on parenting” may actually give “Lenny Dykstra on investing” a run for worst possible source of advice.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 18
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 86
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 56
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (86)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)