Feb 11, 2010, 1:53 PM EST
My entry earlier this week about Lenny Dykstra’s financial situation received 142 comments, so I figure everyone is interested in a follow up via some nice digging by SportsByBrooks.com.
In addition to filing personal bankruptcy after reportedly losing up to $100 million, Dykstra apparently was given control of the $737,000 signing bonus that his son Cutter Dykstra received for being the Brewers’ first-round pick in 2008.
Two years ago in an interview Cutter said: “I just gave him my check, and he will invest some of it for me.”
At the time Lenny was rolling in dough, so it probably seemed like a good idea. And since then? No official details on what happened to the money, but Lenny reportedly “had to be removed by police as he was attempting to make contact with his son” at a minor-league game in August. I’ll go out on a limb and guess that he didn’t turn the $737,000 into $5 million.
A source told SportsByBrooks.com that Cutter’s money was placed in a joint account with Lenny at an Atlanta bank where he now has a $3.5 million debt. And unfortunately Cutter Dykstra hit just .234 with a measly .659 OPS between rookie-ball and Single-A last season, so that bonus money may prove to be the bulk of his career earnings.
Amazingly, it appears “Lenny Dykstra on parenting” may actually give “Lenny Dykstra on investing” a run for worst possible source of advice.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)