Feb 11, 2010, 1:53 PM EDT
My entry earlier this week about Lenny Dykstra’s financial situation received 142 comments, so I figure everyone is interested in a follow up via some nice digging by SportsByBrooks.com.
In addition to filing personal bankruptcy after reportedly losing up to $100 million, Dykstra apparently was given control of the $737,000 signing bonus that his son Cutter Dykstra received for being the Brewers’ first-round pick in 2008.
Two years ago in an interview Cutter said: “I just gave him my check, and he will invest some of it for me.”
At the time Lenny was rolling in dough, so it probably seemed like a good idea. And since then? No official details on what happened to the money, but Lenny reportedly “had to be removed by police as he was attempting to make contact with his son” at a minor-league game in August. I’ll go out on a limb and guess that he didn’t turn the $737,000 into $5 million.
A source told SportsByBrooks.com that Cutter’s money was placed in a joint account with Lenny at an Atlanta bank where he now has a $3.5 million debt. And unfortunately Cutter Dykstra hit just .234 with a measly .659 OPS between rookie-ball and Single-A last season, so that bonus money may prove to be the bulk of his career earnings.
Amazingly, it appears “Lenny Dykstra on parenting” may actually give “Lenny Dykstra on investing” a run for worst possible source of advice.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 15
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 73
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)