Feb 11, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Frank Thomas, who last played with the Blue Jays and Athletics in 2008, will announce his retirement on Friday, sources told MLB.com.
The 41-year-old Thomas finishes his career with 521 home runs.
Also a tight end in college, Thomas was the seventh overall pick in the 1989 MLB draft out of Auburn. In 16 years with the White Sox, he went to five All-Star Games, won two MVP awards and led the AL in OPS four times. Unfortunately, injuries hampered him more and more towards the end of his stay and he left on poor terms with the team after playing in just 34 games in 2005.
In 2006, at age 38, he had a bounce-back season with Oakland, hitting .270 with 39 homers and 114 RBI to finish fourth in the MVP voting. He was productive again with the Blue Jays in 2007, but he got off to a poor start in 2008 and Toronto released him for financial purposes. He returned to Oakland for what ended up being the last stop of his career and hit .263/.354/.387 in 55 games.
Thomas is a clear Hall of Famer on performance, even if he contributed little with the glove. He finishes his career with a .301 average, a .419 OBP and a .555 slugging percentage. His 974 OPS ranks 15th all-time, and he’s 18th on the homer list. Unfortunately, he didn’t have all that much of a chance to add to his record in the postseason. He excelled in two of his four series, but he ended on a very poor note, going 0-for-13 in the 2006 ALCS as the A’s lost to the Tigers. He was a career .224/.441/.429 hitter with three homers and five RBI in 49 postseason at-bats.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 14
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 4
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)