Darin Erstad may have made his last scrappy out

Feb 11, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT

When productive veteran outfielders like Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye are having trouble finding work it makes sense that not-so-productive veteran outfielders like Darin Erstad may be headed for retirement.
Bill Plunkett of the Orange Country Register recently spoke the Erstad, who “sounded like a happy father, perfectly content if he never plays another major-league game.” Here’s more from the 36-year-old who hasn’t cracked a .700 OPS since 2004:

I’m at peace with with whichever way it goes. Things can happen in a hurry. I’m just staying in shape and keeping an open mind to anything. At this point, I’m just living life. I’m going to be ready if it comes. If not, I’m going to be the best dad I can be. I’m pretty sure if I don’t sign with anyone, I’m still going to be pretty busy in March.

Erstad remains a good defensive outfielder, but his bat has gone from overrated and mediocre to just plain bad. He hit .194 in 150 plate appearances off the Astros’ bench last season and has batted .247/.299/.344 in 374 games over the past four years. During that time the only outfielders with more plate appearances and a lower OPS are Joey Gathright and Carlos Gomez.

1. BC - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Little known fact: he was also the punter on the 1994 Nebraska championship team.

2. for Jonny5 - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:15 AM

WHAAAA?! “Scrappy?” Clearly aversion racism!

3. Grant - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Junior, is that you?

4. J - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:27 AM

Also a little known fact: Erstad is the only player in MLB history to win a GG at 3 different positions: LF, CF, and 1B. Also had one of the best seasons ever for a leadoff hitter in 2000.

5. Jay - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Gotta love the obligatory “Carlos Gomez can’t hit” smear. Your Twins fannery is showing Aaron. Not that anyone disagrees…

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (4139)