Feb 11, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Got a press release a few minutes ago announcing that Ernie Harwell is going to receive the Vin Scully Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Broadcasting. The award is given out annually by WFUV, the public radio station at Fordham University where Scully got his start. The award will be given at the station’s Spring Gala on May 5th.
Two observations, the first from Pouliot, with whom I was just chatting with a moment ago, which is that given their commensurate stature, the award’s namesake and recipient could have been reversed and it would have made just as much sense.
The second, somewhat morbid observation: despite the fact that he likely wouldn’t travel to New York to accept it in person anyway, I sure hope Harwell’s health holds up so that this award is not a posthumous one. Based on reports from last September, Ernie is already beating the odds, but I’d like to see him beat them just a bit longer.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)