Feb 11, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Got a press release a few minutes ago announcing that Ernie Harwell is going to receive the Vin Scully Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Broadcasting. The award is given out annually by WFUV, the public radio station at Fordham University where Scully got his start. The award will be given at the station’s Spring Gala on May 5th.
Two observations, the first from Pouliot, with whom I was just chatting with a moment ago, which is that given their commensurate stature, the award’s namesake and recipient could have been reversed and it would have made just as much sense.
The second, somewhat morbid observation: despite the fact that he likely wouldn’t travel to New York to accept it in person anyway, I sure hope Harwell’s health holds up so that this award is not a posthumous one. Based on reports from last September, Ernie is already beating the odds, but I’d like to see him beat them just a bit longer.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)