Feb 11, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Got a press release a few minutes ago announcing that Ernie Harwell is going to receive the Vin Scully Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Broadcasting. The award is given out annually by WFUV, the public radio station at Fordham University where Scully got his start. The award will be given at the station’s Spring Gala on May 5th.
Two observations, the first from Pouliot, with whom I was just chatting with a moment ago, which is that given their commensurate stature, the award’s namesake and recipient could have been reversed and it would have made just as much sense.
The second, somewhat morbid observation: despite the fact that he likely wouldn’t travel to New York to accept it in person anyway, I sure hope Harwell’s health holds up so that this award is not a posthumous one. Based on reports from last September, Ernie is already beating the odds, but I’d like to see him beat them just a bit longer.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)