Feb 11, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
Got a press release a few minutes ago announcing that Ernie Harwell is going to receive the Vin Scully Lifetime Achievement Award in Sports Broadcasting. The award is given out annually by WFUV, the public radio station at Fordham University where Scully got his start. The award will be given at the station’s Spring Gala on May 5th.
Two observations, the first from Pouliot, with whom I was just chatting with a moment ago, which is that given their commensurate stature, the award’s namesake and recipient could have been reversed and it would have made just as much sense.
The second, somewhat morbid observation: despite the fact that he likely wouldn’t travel to New York to accept it in person anyway, I sure hope Harwell’s health holds up so that this award is not a posthumous one. Based on reports from last September, Ernie is already beating the odds, but I’d like to see him beat them just a bit longer.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)