Feb 11, 2010, 3:57 PM EST
UPDATE: Brace yourselves kids – Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Mike Ilitch has authorized his flunkies to offer Johnny Damon two years and $14 million. Which, you’ll recall, is the amount of money Damon turned down from the Yankees, launching our favorite meme of the offseason (i.e. Scott Boras screwed up).
If this is true, I can only assume that Boras has the Bottled City of Kandor held hostage which Ilitch has sworn to protect.
If this happens and Boras’ bacon is saved, I’m going to destroy my den like Kane ripped apart the Xanadu bedroom after Susan Alexander left him.
3:14 P.M.: Jayson Stark is reporting that Scott Boras’ long national nightmare may be over and that Johnny Damon may be close to signing with the Tigers:
Two sources told ESPN.com that the Detroit Tigers
have made the largest offer, amid speculation around the industry that
that bid is in the range of one year, $7 million. There were
indications the sides were still discussing a possible two-year deal.
But even the Tigers’ one-year offer appears to be the biggest offer on
I’d still like to see the Braves get him at something less than $5 million, but if the Tigers want to give him $7 million they can have him.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)