Feb 11, 2010, 3:57 PM EST
UPDATE: Brace yourselves kids – Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Mike Ilitch has authorized his flunkies to offer Johnny Damon two years and $14 million. Which, you’ll recall, is the amount of money Damon turned down from the Yankees, launching our favorite meme of the offseason (i.e. Scott Boras screwed up).
If this is true, I can only assume that Boras has the Bottled City of Kandor held hostage which Ilitch has sworn to protect.
If this happens and Boras’ bacon is saved, I’m going to destroy my den like Kane ripped apart the Xanadu bedroom after Susan Alexander left him.
3:14 P.M.: Jayson Stark is reporting that Scott Boras’ long national nightmare may be over and that Johnny Damon may be close to signing with the Tigers:
Two sources told ESPN.com that the Detroit Tigers
have made the largest offer, amid speculation around the industry that
that bid is in the range of one year, $7 million. There were
indications the sides were still discussing a possible two-year deal.
But even the Tigers’ one-year offer appears to be the biggest offer on
I’d still like to see the Braves get him at something less than $5 million, but if the Tigers want to give him $7 million they can have him.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (168)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)