Feb 11, 2010, 3:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: Brace yourselves kids — Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Mike Ilitch has authorized his flunkies to offer Johnny Damon two years and $14 million. Which, you’ll recall, is the amount of money Damon turned down from the Yankees, launching our favorite meme of the offseason (i.e. Scott Boras screwed up).
If this is true, I can only assume that Boras has the Bottled City of Kandor held hostage which Ilitch has sworn to protect.
If this happens and Boras’ bacon is saved, I’m going to destroy my den like Kane ripped apart the Xanadu bedroom after Susan Alexander left him.
3:14 P.M.: Jayson Stark is reporting that Scott Boras’ long national nightmare may be over and that Johnny Damon may be close to signing with the Tigers:
Two sources told ESPN.com that the Detroit Tigers
have made the largest offer, amid speculation around the industry that
that bid is in the range of one year, $7 million. There were
indications the sides were still discussing a possible two-year deal.
But even the Tigers’ one-year offer appears to be the biggest offer on
I’d still like to see the Braves get him at something less than $5 million, but if the Tigers want to give him $7 million they can have him.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 23
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 3
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 17
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 47
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)