Feb 11, 2010, 3:57 PM EST
UPDATE: Brace yourselves kids – Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Mike Ilitch has authorized his flunkies to offer Johnny Damon two years and $14 million. Which, you’ll recall, is the amount of money Damon turned down from the Yankees, launching our favorite meme of the offseason (i.e. Scott Boras screwed up).
If this is true, I can only assume that Boras has the Bottled City of Kandor held hostage which Ilitch has sworn to protect.
If this happens and Boras’ bacon is saved, I’m going to destroy my den like Kane ripped apart the Xanadu bedroom after Susan Alexander left him.
3:14 P.M.: Jayson Stark is reporting that Scott Boras’ long national nightmare may be over and that Johnny Damon may be close to signing with the Tigers:
Two sources told ESPN.com that the Detroit Tigers
have made the largest offer, amid speculation around the industry that
that bid is in the range of one year, $7 million. There were
indications the sides were still discussing a possible two-year deal.
But even the Tigers’ one-year offer appears to be the biggest offer on
I’d still like to see the Braves get him at something less than $5 million, but if the Tigers want to give him $7 million they can have him.
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 18
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 132
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (133)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)