REPORT: The Tigers may save Damon and Boras' bacon: 2 years/$14 million

Feb 11, 2010, 3:57 PM EDT

UPDATE: Brace yourselves kids – Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Mike Ilitch has authorized his flunkies to offer Johnny Damon two years and $14 million. Which, you’ll recall, is the amount of money Damon turned down from the Yankees, launching our favorite meme of the offseason (i.e. Scott Boras screwed up).

If this is true, I can only assume that Boras has the Bottled City of Kandor held hostage which Ilitch has sworn to protect.

If this happens and Boras’ bacon is saved, I’m going to destroy my den like Kane ripped apart the Xanadu bedroom after Susan Alexander left him.

3:14 P.M.: Jayson Stark is reporting that Scott Boras’ long national nightmare may be over and that Johnny Damon may be close to signing with the Tigers:

Two sources told ESPN.com that the Detroit Tigers
have made the largest offer, amid speculation around the industry that
that bid is in the range of one year, $7 million. There were
indications the sides were still discussing a possible two-year deal.
But even the Tigers’ one-year offer appears to be the biggest offer on
the table.

I’d still like to see the Braves get him at something less than $5 million, but if the Tigers want to give him $7 million they can have him.

1. Phil - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I’d like to see anyone get him for any price just so we don’t have to talk about him anymore.

2. BC - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:33 PM

$7 mil for an injury-prone 36-year old outfielder who can’t throw? Good luck with that.

3. Richard Dansky - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:34 PM

What are the odds that Heyman spins this into a brilliant victory for Boras?

4. Old Gator - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Know what’ll be really funny?
    “The infield is set at double play depth. Cabrera leads off first. Damon at bat. Here’s a hard grounder hit right at the shortstop….”
    There are fewer things in the universe as certain as gravity. That there’s gonna be a double play in that situation is another one. It’s just fortunate for the Tigers that if the first baseman can get the ball back to second base in time, the runner can’t be out twice.

5. ecp - Feb 11, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Given the circumstances behind the Granderson trade, if this is true then the Tigers officially win this year’s offseason lunacy award.

6. Old Gator - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Craig – and you probably want to slug Ilitch in the kazoo the way Marcia Gay Harden flattened Gabriel Byrne in the ladies’ room at Leo’s speakeasy in Miller’s Crossing too.
    The bottled city of Kandor and Charlie Kane’s den in the same blog. Need I tell you how much I loved that? The question now is, will Ilitch rub Dombrowski’s nose in Damon the way Kane had poor old Jedediah Leland pull a Jon Heyman for Susan Alexander? But in this case perhaps the more appropriate metaphor would be that Horton coughed it up to keep the hyenas from splattering Whoville.

7. ecp - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:10 PM

See? It really would have been premature for Jon Heyman to put Damon on the “free agent losers” list!
    (I can guarantee that your wife will not approve of you redecorating the den.)

8. Jonny5 - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I wouldn’t be suprised if Boras didn’t fork out his own money to the tigers to make this deal happen. Either that or the mop on Ilithc’s head fused into his cortex and he plain forgot why he dumped Granderson.

9. Curious George - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:13 PM

“$7 mil for an injury-prone 36-year old outfielder who can’t throw?”
    Damon has averaged missing 20 games a year for the past 3 years. While he’s no Pete Rose in terms of durability, I’d hardly call him injury prone. In fact, if you look at the entirety of his career, he has NEVER once missed more than 21 games.

10. old vet - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM

Best comment of all Phil; I concur.

11. Charles Gates - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:28 PM

Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink, HUMPERDINK!!!

12. myron krouse - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:40 PM

great for him, but i think he would have been better off taking the yankees offer a long while ago for the same money. he should go and fire Boras fir ill advising him earlier.

13. Big Ford - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:44 PM

Matt Millen has got to be working for the Tigers!

14. RobRob - Feb 11, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Thank God I’m not a Tigers fan.

15. frug - Feb 11, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Way to go Tigers! You managed to overpay a guy even that no one else was actively pursuing. Scott Boras deserves credit for getting Detroit to shell out this contract even though they were more or less bidding against themselves.

16. Margarita - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I think that Johnny Damon is a very good player.He was the leadoff man until last year,when the Yankees put him on the second spot because Jeter,as good as he is,was batting for doubleplays a lot.We all know that he doesn’t have a great arm.He never did.But he can hit any pitcher.Granderson is a very good outfielder,but he can not hit left hander pitcher.So,what about when the game is tied and the pitcher is a lefty?No problem with Damon.I think that the Yankees are going to miss him.As a Yankee fan,I will.

17. bob mills - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Johnny’s stroke was perfect for the new Yankee Stadium. 350-foot fly balls to straight away right field are home runs there, and the ball carries to right field in a jet stream. Detroit is a different animal. How much is an outfielder worth if he hits .280 with 15 home runs and can’t throw? Not $7 million a year, for sure.

18. yep - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:35 PM

Margarita…what are you smoking!!! Damon is washed up and should thank Boras for getting him anything at all…I live in Detroit and I can not belive that they would make this type of a move…oh wait…yea I can. I forgot…Lions, Tigers, Pistons….they are trying to get rid of their teams and move the entire city elsewhere. What a sad state of affairs.

19. rss - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:46 PM

if it happens, hopefully everyone can quit nagging about the yankees “paying for the best team in baseball.” let’s all get over that bs please.

20. Grant - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:47 PM

I’ll bet he’s happy with the deal. The he’ll be able to grow his hair long and a beard again.
    Who cares. These guys are businessmen now, not ballplayers in the true sense. That’s why I much prefer to go to a good Little League game than a MLB game…even if it is my beloved Braves.

21. jason - Feb 11, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I’m amazed the Yankees let this guy go for utility players no one has ever heard of. Yes, he’s older. Yes, he’s lost a step. He’s also a winner, and a player with a great attitude. His steal of third in the WS was crucial. The Yankees blew this one.

22. Phil - Feb 11, 2010 at 8:01 PM

I’m curious why the signing of Damon by the tigers for 2/$14MM should eliminate discussion of the Yankees’ spending habits. I’m further curious how it’s “bs” to say that the Yankees paid for the best team in baseball since they (a) won more regular season games than any other team in 2009, (b) won the World Series and (c) had the highest payroll by far. Elaborate, please.

23. Breeze - Feb 11, 2010 at 8:28 PM

If he goes for that much, it’s a shame he didn’t take the Yanks offer. Boras is an a.. He’s perfect for the new Yankee stadium but not worth what he was asking. It takes a SMART agent who thinks more about who he’s representing than himself to see that.

24. To Phil, from rss - Feb 11, 2010 at 10:03 PM

did you watch baseball before 2009? how about 2008, 07, and the few years before that? if they paid for the best team in baseball, they would have won the world series every year for the past decade. the phillies are an excellent club with a much lower payroll and were right behind the yanks in 2009. has nothing to do with ball players salaries, their skill set and team organization that last several years previous to 2009 proves that easily.

25. Phil - Feb 11, 2010 at 10:59 PM

I know I wrote my response in English and that gives me an unfair advantage when dealing with a certain subset of Yankee fan. You said, “…hopefully everyone can quit nagging about the yankees “paying for the best team in baseball.” let’s all get over that bs please.” In 2009, the Yankees paid their players, right? At least, I didn’t read of any of them contributing their skillspro bono. In 2009, the Yankees were the best team in baseball. Therefore, in 2009 the Yankees paid for the best team in baseball. QED. I was merely responding to exactly what you wrote.
    In fact, it’s fair to say that the Yankees at least attempt to pay for the best team in baseball every year because their stated goal at the outset of each season is winning the World Series. In those years they actually do win the series, they have paid for the best team. That would be true even if their payroll was less than other teams, as it was in 1996 for example. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to maximize your ROI, which is all paying for the best team implies.
    It’s clear from your response that you wanted to make a different argument – that money doesn’t necessarily buy championships. I happen to agree. However, if that’s the argument you wish to make it’s incumbent on you to state that argument clearly by using the correct words to frame that argument. You failed to do this. I merely called you on it.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS