REPORT: The Tigers may save Damon and Boras' bacon: 2 years/$14 million

Feb 11, 2010, 3:57 PM EDT

UPDATE: Brace yourselves kids – Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Mike Ilitch has authorized his flunkies to offer Johnny Damon two years and $14 million. Which, you’ll recall, is the amount of money Damon turned down from the Yankees, launching our favorite meme of the offseason (i.e. Scott Boras screwed up).

If this is true, I can only assume that Boras has the Bottled City of Kandor held hostage which Ilitch has sworn to protect.

If this happens and Boras’ bacon is saved, I’m going to destroy my den like Kane ripped apart the Xanadu bedroom after Susan Alexander left him.

3:14 P.M.: Jayson Stark is reporting that Scott Boras’ long national nightmare may be over and that Johnny Damon may be close to signing with the Tigers:

Two sources told ESPN.com that the Detroit Tigers
have made the largest offer, amid speculation around the industry that
that bid is in the range of one year, $7 million. There were
indications the sides were still discussing a possible two-year deal.
But even the Tigers’ one-year offer appears to be the biggest offer on
the table.

I’d still like to see the Braves get him at something less than $5 million, but if the Tigers want to give him $7 million they can have him.

1. Curious George - Feb 12, 2010 at 5:42 AM

“Damon is washed up and should thank Boras for getting him anything at all”
    What, in his batting record, suggests to you that he is washed up? His OPS+ in 2009 was 126 (which would have ranked him second on the Tigers). It was 118 in 2008.
    Do you even know what washed up means?

2. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Feb 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM

This was also a career high for him. How many 36 year old OF’s have career highs and then repeat it the following year? Also, Damon was a huge beneficiary of YSIII. Here are his H/R splits:
    H – .279/.382/.533
    A – .284/.349/.446
    Now granted YSIII suppressed doubles and triples, so the Tigers should expect those numbers to go up, but I’ll eat my hat if he hits 24 HR’s again (tied career high).

3. Nissan - Feb 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Damon is a decent bat, but he does not have a strong throwing arm. The Tigers home field (Comerica Park) has huge dimensions. Tiger outfielders need to be fast and have strong arms. Apparently, the Tigers are only interested in his bat…hope he delivers.

4. Aquaman - Feb 12, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Honestly, where do you come up with this crap?

5. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2010 at 5:48 PM

Which crap? I can’t respond with any kind of precision to such overgeneralized interrogatories.

6. Norman Dyer - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:28 PM

I have heard this rumor for the past month, making Carlos Guillen a full time DH is a great career saving move on their part. Way to Go Tigers, even with signing Damon you still could lose 100 games….

7. JFK69 - Feb 13, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Who cares where Damon ends up. The Yankees will have have Crawford in left after this year.
    Finally they get it and don’t end up like the NY RANGERS paying for talent based on previous accomplishments and long past its prime. That goes for the Knicks as well. I wouldn’t pay Damon any more than 3 million plus incentives and that is for the DH spot.

8. Koz - Feb 14, 2010 at 6:24 AM

You are right on the mark, ‘cept his throwing description….he throws like a girl…really like a girl!!!

9. fred - Feb 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Could have had that money and the opportunity to repeat as world champions, as well as endorsements opportunities in the big city. Beam me up Scottie!

10. Nasty Boy - Feb 14, 2010 at 6:54 PM

I totally agree. What in Gods name are the Tigers thinking ? I liked Damon for his bat, but he scared the hell out of me in the outfield.I think he was scarring the Yankee’s too.

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3361)