Feb 11, 2010, 5:01 PM EST
Rangers prospect Danny Gutierrez was suspended for 50 games Thursday for testing positive for the amphetamine Adderall, MLB announced.
Adderall is a drug used to treat Attention-Deficit Disorder, and many believe it is being abused by major leaguers seeking a boost. The Mitchell Report pointed out the number of players receiving “theraputic use exemptions” for Adderall and similar drugs jumped from 28 to 103 after amphetamines or “greenies” were banned in 2005.
The Dallas Morning News says that Gutierrez had a prescription to use Adderall, but he didn’t apply for a waiver with MLB.
Gutierrez was already considered a controversial prospect. The Royals, who apparently felt he was getting bad advice from agent Scott Boras, traded him away to the Rangers for a modest return last September even though he was widely viewed as one of their top young arms. He had a 1.95 ERA in 32 1/3 innings between Single- and Double-A in a 2009 season in which he was limited by shoulder troubles. He was expected to open 2010 in Double-A.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)