Feb 11, 2010, 5:01 PM EDT
Rangers prospect Danny Gutierrez was suspended for 50 games Thursday for testing positive for the amphetamine Adderall, MLB announced.
Adderall is a drug used to treat Attention-Deficit Disorder, and many believe it is being abused by major leaguers seeking a boost. The Mitchell Report pointed out the number of players receiving “theraputic use exemptions” for Adderall and similar drugs jumped from 28 to 103 after amphetamines or “greenies” were banned in 2005.
The Dallas Morning News says that Gutierrez had a prescription to use Adderall, but he didn’t apply for a waiver with MLB.
Gutierrez was already considered a controversial prospect. The Royals, who apparently felt he was getting bad advice from agent Scott Boras, traded him away to the Rangers for a modest return last September even though he was widely viewed as one of their top young arms. He had a 1.95 ERA in 32 1/3 innings between Single- and Double-A in a 2009 season in which he was limited by shoulder troubles. He was expected to open 2010 in Double-A.
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 0
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)