Feb 11, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
The deal to keep the Cubs’ spring training home in Mesa, Arizona was contingent on the State of Arizona finding the money to help them build an $84 million new complex. Their idea: impose a surcharge on spring training tickets to help cover the cost. But not just Cubs spring training tickets: they want to impose a fee on tickets sold by all of the teams that train in the state. The other teams aren’t fans of this plan:
“All 14 other Cactus League teams oppose House Bill 2736 as introduced.
We are working persistently with legislative leadership in the House to
construct an alternative plan that will work for everyone, including
the Cubs,” said John Kaites, a Phoenix attorney and lobbyist who
represents the Mariners and White Sox. He would not provide details,
I’m against this sort of thing too, but I do find it extremely rich that the owners of baseball teams who have made billions by making other people pay for their stadiums are suddenly aghast that someone would do it to them.
In other Cubs news, whoever is in charge of the cover of the new Cubs’ annual may want to re-think the placement of Derek Lee’s head, because some people — not me, of course — giggle and snork when they see stuff like that.
(Thanks to Robert T for the link to the Cubs annual, and sympathy to his wife and children for having to live with a guy with smut on his mind).
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 19
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 9
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 51
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 96
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (96)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)