Feb 11, 2010, 10:55 AM EDT
The deal to keep the Cubs’ spring training home in Mesa, Arizona was contingent on the State of Arizona finding the money to help them build an $84 million new complex. Their idea: impose a surcharge on spring training tickets to help cover the cost. But not just Cubs spring training tickets: they want to impose a fee on tickets sold by all of the teams that train in the state. The other teams aren’t fans of this plan:
“All 14 other Cactus League teams oppose House Bill 2736 as introduced.
We are working persistently with legislative leadership in the House to
construct an alternative plan that will work for everyone, including
the Cubs,” said John Kaites, a Phoenix attorney and lobbyist who
represents the Mariners and White Sox. He would not provide details,
I’m against this sort of thing too, but I do find it extremely rich that the owners of baseball teams who have made billions by making other people pay for their stadiums are suddenly aghast that someone would do it to them.
In other Cubs news, whoever is in charge of the cover of the new Cubs’ annual may want to re-think the placement of Derek Lee’s head, because some people — not me, of course — giggle and snork when they see stuff like that.
(Thanks to Robert T for the link to the Cubs annual, and sympathy to his wife and children for having to live with a guy with smut on his mind).
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)