Feb 12, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Earlier this week Carlos Delgado hinted that he might simply retire rather than “sign a contract just to say I signed.” Not surprisingly once agent David Sloane heard that he made sure to clarify that the 37-year-old has no plans to call it quits:
He’s going to continue his strengthening program, continue working out. Every year, teams have issues–somebody gets hurt, somebody doesn’t perform. And then they need a bat. When that happens, Carlos will be available. We’re confident someone will sign him. It’s just a matter of who and when.
Sloane added that Delgado has no plans to accept any of his current offers despite supposedly having major-league deals on the table, which seems far-fetched. Either way, barring a last-minute change of heart for Delgado or one of the few teams still in need of a first baseman/designated hitter he’ll be hoping for a midseason opportunity.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal compares Delgado’s situation to Pedro Martinez signing with the Phillies in mid-July last year, but the big difference is that rotation help will always be in much higher midseason demand than a 1B/DH who will have been on the sidelines for nearly 15 months come the All-Star break.
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 13
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)