Feb 12, 2010, 1:50 PM EST
Earlier this week Carlos Delgado hinted that he might simply retire rather than “sign a contract just to say I signed.” Not surprisingly once agent David Sloane heard that he made sure to clarify that the 37-year-old has no plans to call it quits:
He’s going to continue his strengthening program, continue working out. Every year, teams have issues–somebody gets hurt, somebody doesn’t perform. And then they need a bat. When that happens, Carlos will be available. We’re confident someone will sign him. It’s just a matter of who and when.
Sloane added that Delgado has no plans to accept any of his current offers despite supposedly having major-league deals on the table, which seems far-fetched. Either way, barring a last-minute change of heart for Delgado or one of the few teams still in need of a first baseman/designated hitter he’ll be hoping for a midseason opportunity.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal compares Delgado’s situation to Pedro Martinez signing with the Phillies in mid-July last year, but the big difference is that rotation help will always be in much higher midseason demand than a 1B/DH who will have been on the sidelines for nearly 15 months come the All-Star break.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)