Feb 12, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Earlier this week Carlos Delgado hinted that he might simply retire rather than “sign a contract just to say I signed.” Not surprisingly once agent David Sloane heard that he made sure to clarify that the 37-year-old has no plans to call it quits:
He’s going to continue his strengthening program, continue working out. Every year, teams have issues–somebody gets hurt, somebody doesn’t perform. And then they need a bat. When that happens, Carlos will be available. We’re confident someone will sign him. It’s just a matter of who and when.
Sloane added that Delgado has no plans to accept any of his current offers despite supposedly having major-league deals on the table, which seems far-fetched. Either way, barring a last-minute change of heart for Delgado or one of the few teams still in need of a first baseman/designated hitter he’ll be hoping for a midseason opportunity.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal compares Delgado’s situation to Pedro Martinez signing with the Phillies in mid-July last year, but the big difference is that rotation help will always be in much higher midseason demand than a 1B/DH who will have been on the sidelines for nearly 15 months come the All-Star break.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)