Feb 12, 2010, 1:50 PM EDT
Earlier this week Carlos Delgado hinted that he might simply retire rather than “sign a contract just to say I signed.” Not surprisingly once agent David Sloane heard that he made sure to clarify that the 37-year-old has no plans to call it quits:
He’s going to continue his strengthening program, continue working out. Every year, teams have issues–somebody gets hurt, somebody doesn’t perform. And then they need a bat. When that happens, Carlos will be available. We’re confident someone will sign him. It’s just a matter of who and when.
Sloane added that Delgado has no plans to accept any of his current offers despite supposedly having major-league deals on the table, which seems far-fetched. Either way, barring a last-minute change of heart for Delgado or one of the few teams still in need of a first baseman/designated hitter he’ll be hoping for a midseason opportunity.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal compares Delgado’s situation to Pedro Martinez signing with the Phillies in mid-July last year, but the big difference is that rotation help will always be in much higher midseason demand than a 1B/DH who will have been on the sidelines for nearly 15 months come the All-Star break.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)