Feb 12, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
In light of yesterday’s two-year, $14 million offer to Johnny Damon, I had a Deep Thought: If you’re Dave Dombrowski how on Earth are you supposed to negotiate with players and their agents if they know that Mike Ilitch may just come in and blow the budget whenever it strikes his fancy?
Seems like credibility would, you know, matter a bit in that line of work. And thanks to the team’s owner, Dombrowski has way less of it any time he tells someone that the money just ain’t there.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)