Feb 12, 2010, 10:20 AM EDT
In light of yesterday’s two-year, $14 million offer to Johnny Damon, I had a Deep Thought: If you’re Dave Dombrowski how on Earth are you supposed to negotiate with players and their agents if they know that Mike Ilitch may just come in and blow the budget whenever it strikes his fancy?
Seems like credibility would, you know, matter a bit in that line of work. And thanks to the team’s owner, Dombrowski has way less of it any time he tells someone that the money just ain’t there.
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 44
- The Nationals and Phillies are nearing a trade for Jonathan Papelbon 25
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 81
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)