Truck Day: just another chance to try and sell you something

Feb 12, 2010, 10:50 AM EST

It’s Truck Day in Boston, which means that boxes of gloves, bats, balls snuff cans and Gold Bond Medicated Powder are being loaded into the back of a rig outside Fenway Park and will soon depart for Red Sox spring training in Fort Myers, Florida.

There’s been a lot of grumpy chatter from Red Sox fans this year over the fact that so many other teams are suddenly celebrating their own version of Truck Day. It’s like one of their valued traditions is being stolen from them, they’re saying. What will people steal next? Neil Diamond songs? Pink caps? Binge drinking? Is nothing sacred?!

I was sympathetic about this cultural theft until I learned this morning that the Red Sox’ February rite has corporate sponsorship:

The 2010 Spring Training Truck Day presented by JetBlue Airways is
scheduled for Friday, February 12. The Red Sox equipment truck will
depart Fenway Park for the 1,480-mile trip to the club’s Spring
Training home in Fort Myers, Florida on Friday at approximately 12 noon . . .

. . . Fans are also welcome to stop by and see JetBlue Airways, The Official
Airline of the Boston Red Sox, and Wally the Green Monster between 11
a.m. and 12 p.m. at the Yawkey Way Store next to Fenway for their
chance to win a roundtrip flight on JetBlue, a trip to Spring Training
in Ft. Myers, and other great prizes.

Can I ask a dumb question? Why is an airline sponsoring an event which glorifies alternative transportation?

1. Jonny5 - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:09 AM

Ahhhh, spring training… ,gotta love it!!!! I know, this is about the sox, but I just loved this article about our new pitcher, thought I’d share….

2. Joe - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Good question.
    I love the Red Sox. I hate the Red Sox cash generating machine. I guess on the one hand I like that it keeps the payroll up and the team in the playoffs. But on the other hand I’d like for a moment to delude myself into thinking it’s about entertaining baseball and not about selling me something at every given opportunity.

3. Josh in DC - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Yes, Joe — how dare a for-profit corporation attempt to maximize its profits?

4. BC - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:26 AM

How about my Mets have a Truck Day. Load the entire team, front office, staff and ownership onto a truck and drive them into the East River. I’ll pay the $20 parking and have a few beers for that one….

5. Ma Joad - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Us Joads started up Truck Day, dammit. Go ask Tom. We was robbed.

6. Jay @ Fack Youk - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:52 AM

+1 for the Gold Bond reference.
    If you’re stranded on a deserted island, that’s gotta be one of the 10 most useful things you could bring along, right?

7. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Baltimore
    DC
    New York
    Pittsburgh
    Newark, NJ

8. Moses Green - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM

JetBlue – when you really need to get it there safe and sound – hire buses.

9. gumbercules - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:34 PM

It should be Truck Party, sponsored by Stephon Marbury. Thanks, I’ll be here all week.

10. BC - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:43 PM

…with special guest host Robert “Tractor” Traylor.

11. YX - Feb 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM

You know the worst part? All the equipment and stuff are already down south in Fort Meyers due to Winter Classic at Fenway.

12. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM

oh please, give it a rest.

13. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:05 PM

what a great fan they have……..

14. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:08 PM

JetBlue is all for trucking the equipment to Florida rather than fly it there on JetBlue, only in Boston could happen.
    EvilEmpire2010

15. IdahoMariner - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I think you meant “sacred”.
    I normally don’t care about typos, but this one IS the punchline, so thought you’d like to know.

16. IdahoMariner - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:00 PM

wow. he’s not attacking them for wanting to make money. Just wishing he could delude himself for a moment or two that it’s all about the game, not the dollar. wishing vs. attacking. harmless. give it a rest.

17. Joey B - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Next thing you know blog writers will be taking in ads to help pay their salary.

18. Joe - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:09 PM

I don’t mind them maximizing profits. I mind the constant reminders that they have something to sell.

19. Richard Dansky - Feb 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM

You and me got sense. Them Red Sox fans got no sense and no feeling. They ain’t human. Human being wouldn’t live the way they do. Human being couldn’t stand to be so miserable.

20. Justin - Feb 12, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Craig, Have you every been to Philly? I don’t think Beantown has a monopoly on binge drinking…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5013)
  2. M. Kemp (3519)
  3. J. Kang (2730)
  4. J. Upton (2724)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2651)
  1. C. McGehee (2647)