Feb 12, 2010, 10:50 AM EDT
It’s Truck Day in Boston, which means that boxes of gloves, bats, balls snuff cans and Gold Bond Medicated Powder are being loaded into the back of a rig outside Fenway Park and will soon depart for Red Sox spring training in Fort Myers, Florida.
There’s been a lot of grumpy chatter from Red Sox fans this year over the fact that so many other teams are suddenly celebrating their own version of Truck Day. It’s like one of their valued traditions is being stolen from them, they’re saying. What will people steal next? Neil Diamond songs? Pink caps? Binge drinking? Is nothing sacred?!
I was sympathetic about this cultural theft until I learned this morning that the Red Sox’ February rite has corporate sponsorship:
The 2010 Spring Training Truck Day presented by JetBlue Airways is
scheduled for Friday, February 12. The Red Sox equipment truck will
depart Fenway Park for the 1,480-mile trip to the club’s Spring
Training home in Fort Myers, Florida on Friday at approximately 12 noon . . .
. . . Fans are also welcome to stop by and see JetBlue Airways, The Official
Airline of the Boston Red Sox, and Wally the Green Monster between 11
a.m. and 12 p.m. at the Yawkey Way Store next to Fenway for their
chance to win a roundtrip flight on JetBlue, a trip to Spring Training
in Ft. Myers, and other great prizes.
Can I ask a dumb question? Why is an airline sponsoring an event which glorifies alternative transportation?
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 59
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)