J.R. House's career is probably over

Feb 12, 2010, 5:30 PM EST

It’s not likely that any of you care about J.R. House. Nor should you be expected to I suppose. He had a grand total of 63 major league plate appearances with a line of .167/.206/.367 for three teams.  He had a much more respectable .302/.363/.475 in 3886 plate appearances in ten minor league seasons, mostly in the Pirates organization.

But he’s a West Virginia boy, as I consider myself to be, so I’ve always paid attention to whatever it was he was doing for the past decade or so. I never had any illusions that he was gonna make a big splash, but I always kind of hoped he’d make it. According to a story in today’s Charleston Gazette, however, he hasn’t gotten a call to be anyone’s organizational soldier this winter, so it’s quite possible that he’s staring a coaching career in the face.

Frank Thomas. J.R. House. And so it goes.

1. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Back to your Vonnegut, Craig. There’s no “And” in “So it goes.”

2. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 12, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Damn. That’s pretty inexcusable. I always liked Sirens of Titan better than Slaughterhouse anyway.

3. archilochusColubris - Feb 12, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Plus while baseball may be important, these fellas ain’t so much dead quite yet.

4. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM

A prime example of why I always preferred Boididae to Colubridae any day, hey hey hey.
    Craig: Cat’s Cradle for me. Greetings from New Tralfamidore, home of the green chile wet burrito.

5. Rick - Feb 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM

Hey, any of you bozos wanna know how big Kilgore Trout’s pecker was? I guarantee you he wasn’t on the ‘roids.

6. Dan - Feb 12, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Did Craig just admit his love for Billy Joel?

7. Traco Bucco - Feb 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Or Nick Lowe…

8. Grant - Feb 12, 2010 at 7:22 PM

A few years back a large number of Orioles fans really wanted the team to give House a legit shot. They didn’t. I suppose he wouldn’t have been good enough, but I guess I can always wonder.

9. Curious George - Feb 13, 2010 at 9:10 AM

Poo-tee-weet.

10. Old Gator - Feb 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM

Make me young! Make me young! Make me young!

1. J. Santana (2761)