O's starter Bergesen injures arm throwing for TV commercial

Feb 12, 2010, 8:29 AM EST

Orioles’ starter Brad Bergesen will not be able to throw in spring training for at least 10 days after pitchers and
catchers report because he strained his right shoulder during the filming of a TV commercial in early
December:

“Obviously, I hadn’t picked up a ball. I’m kicking myself in the head
about it. That’s really what it was from. Not working on a mound up to
that point,” Bergesen said. “I just jumped up on the mound and gave it
a go. I was trying to be game speed. I was trying to be realistic as
possible with it.

“The production company that came in wanted it to be as realistic as
possible. And I was trying to please and I got caught up in a moment.”

The punchline: if he doesn’t recover as expected and the O’s pitching staff implodes, it’ll be Dave Trembley who will lose his job! Ha!

1. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Well, it’s not like he drove a speedboat into a dock at night, chopped his finger off with a hedge trimmer, flipped his motorcycle on a dirt track, flew his Piper Cherokee into a skyscraper, got himself shot in a bar brawl, contracted HIV eating some bad strange or ruptured an achilles tendon in a pickup game – you know, the usual hijinks that ballplayers get up to in the offseason. This was pretty innocent, evin if stupid – but really, when is innocence not stupid?

2. Andy L - Feb 12, 2010 at 10:38 AM

What player cut his finger off with a hedge trimmer?

3. BC - Feb 12, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Not as bad as Jose Canseco blowing out his arm pitching knuckleballs for Texas.
    Here are some other good ones:

4. Jeff V. - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM

At least you managed to find the good news out of the story.

5. Will - Feb 12, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I’m kicking myself in the head about it.

As flexible as he is, I’m surprised he hurt himself throwing a pitch.

6. Old Gator - Feb 12, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Bob Ojeda.
    Then, of course, a few years later he was a passenger in that speedboat.
    Some lifetimes, it just doesn’t pay to leave your immunodeficiency bubble, you know?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5833)
  2. M. Kemp (3260)
  3. J. Kang (3231)
  4. C. McGehee (3093)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (3068)
  1. J. Upton (3001)