Feb 12, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT
Jim Bowden tweets that both John Smoltz and Pedro Martinez will wait until after the season gets going to sign a deal, a la Pedro’s thing with the Phillies last year. The New York Post’s Adam Rubin reported as much a few weeks ago with respect to Smoltz. Most people probably assumed that Martinez would do it again considering that it worked pretty nicely for him last year.
I like it. In addition to a short season helping mask some of Smoltz and Pedro’s obvious durability concerns, they’ll simply look like more appealing options to a number of teams once the optimism of spring dissolves and teams’ existing starters get hurt or turn back into pumpkins or whatever.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 315
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 39
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (325)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (159)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)