Feb 12, 2010, 7:57 AM EDT
Jim Bowden tweets that both John Smoltz and Pedro Martinez will wait until after the season gets going to sign a deal, a la Pedro’s thing with the Phillies last year. The New York Post’s Adam Rubin reported as much a few weeks ago with respect to Smoltz. Most people probably assumed that Martinez would do it again considering that it worked pretty nicely for him last year.
I like it. In addition to a short season helping mask some of Smoltz and Pedro’s obvious durability concerns, they’ll simply look like more appealing options to a number of teams once the optimism of spring dissolves and teams’ existing starters get hurt or turn back into pumpkins or whatever.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 13
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 50
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)