Feb 12, 2010, 2:20 PM EST
If I was El Presidente I’d do this kind of stuff all the time:
President Hugo Chavez and several members of his Cabinet took to the
field yesterday for a slow-pitch softball game with some of Venezuela’s
past and present major leaguers.
Among the players on hand were Mets closer Francisco Rodriguez, Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus and former Reds shortstop David Concepcion . . .
. . . The president then pitched two innings and allowed seven runs.
Rodriguez, who finished his first season as a Met with 35 saves and 73
strikeouts, gave up 11 runs during three innings.
I suppose it’s possible that Hugo Chavez has better stuff than K-Rod, but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that the hitters were laying off Chavez’s pitches a bit. I mean, spring training starts next week and no one wants to miss it because they’re in some secret jail in a non-descript building in the outskirts of Caracas, do they?
Anyway, like I said, if I was the president I’d be calling for these kinds of command performances, like, weekly. I mean it’s not like Will Clark and Eric Davis have anything better to do.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 18
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 32
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)