The Jays may have to reschedule some June games

Feb 12, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT

Why? Because of some people who think they’re so important just because they, like, run the entire world and everything:

The Group of 20 summit to be held in
Toronto in June may be a boon to the city’s hospitality sector but it
could be a major headache for the local baseball team, the Toronto Blue Jays.

The American League team has been advised to “be aware” that the
gathering of the G20 developed and developing nations, slated to take
place in Toronto on June 26 and 27, could force the Jays to reschedule
one or more of their games.

This is serious concern. After all, you’ll recall that last year’s G-20 meeting took place in Pittsburgh while the Pirates were on a homestand.  The chaos caused by the meetings led to the Pirates-Reds game drawing the lowest attendance in the history of PNC Park.

Well, it was either the summit meeting or the fact that it was a late-September game between the Pirates and Reds. Hard to say, really.

1. GimmeSomeSteel - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:12 PM

Having attended one of the September games in Cincinnati between the Reds and Pirates, I can say with full confidence that it wasn’t the summit meeting that caused the bad attendance when they played in Da Burgh.

2. ecp - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM

The thing that really has the Jays steamed about this is that their scheduled opponent is the Phillies…who have this guy who is expected to be kind of a draw for that series. A guy for whom they kind of wanted to have some sort of recognition event during their visit.

3. Darryl from MiLB - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Craig,
    Thanks for the laugh! I needed that. You coming down for ST??

4. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I am, Darryl. Doing a week-long road trip kind of tour, hitting Tampa, Clearwater, Fort Myers and Port St. Lucie. Where you gonna be? We’ll have to meet up.

5. moreflagsmorefun - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM

I guess MLB couldn’t figure out a way to send the Jays on the road that weekend, they only had one bad experience in Pittsburg to work off, you can’t expect them to have a fix in place.

6. Darryl from MiLB.com - Feb 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM

I live about 15 minutes from the Phillies facility in Clearwater. Let me know when you’re in town. Stop by our office – I’ll buy lunch.

7. Andrew - Feb 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM

This really sucks. Has to happen during the biggest series of the year for the jays. They were planning on honoring Doc when he came to town, and I wouldn’t have been surprised in the least if more people went to that game then opening day.
    It’s been suggested they can change the game times and perhaps play a double header. I really hope they find a way to keep this series here because it’s really all we have to look forward to.

8. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Tell you what, if anyone wants to fly me up to Toronto to act as a professional outside agitator, I can draw on my extensive rioting experience from the NAFTA meetings down here in Macondo a few years ago (remember those tourist board ads up north: “Macondo – See it Like a Demonstrator”?). For a reasonable fee and dinner at one of those great Thai restaurants around the University (and a third row center ticket to Cowboy Junkies if they happen to be playing in the area that week), I’d be happy to lead the disgruntled Feather Lice fans from the Rogers down Queen East. You just wrap Feather Lice blue scarves around the lower half of your faces, tear out your season seats and throw them through bank and stockbrokers’ office windows. Then, when your hands are free, you raise your left fist in the air and chant “Fight de power! Fight de power! Fight de power dat be!”

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4253)