Feb 13, 2010, 10:27 AM EDT
Buster Olney’s Saturday column for ESPN.com (requires subscription) includes a rather interesting nugget of information regarding Johnny Damon. It seems that the “two-year offer” bandied about by Ken Rosenthal the other day might have been pushed along with the expectation that Damon would eventually only accept a one-year deal with the club.
According to some executives involved in the
negotiation, the current expectation is that Damon will sign a one-year deal with the Tigers for $7 million, with some deferred money, and in turn, his camp will indicate that he turned down a two-year deal.
In other words,Tigers’ owner Mike Ilitch would help Boras save face for completely failing one of his clients. This might be done not just with the general public or even Damon in mind, but other possible clients, who saw Felipe Lopez show him the door on Friday.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 39
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 53
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)