Feb 13, 2010, 10:27 AM EDT
Buster Olney’s Saturday column for ESPN.com (requires subscription) includes a rather interesting nugget of information regarding Johnny Damon. It seems that the “two-year offer” bandied about by Ken Rosenthal the other day might have been pushed along with the expectation that Damon would eventually only accept a one-year deal with the club.
According to some executives involved in the
negotiation, the current expectation is that Damon will sign a one-year deal with the Tigers for $7 million, with some deferred money, and in turn, his camp will indicate that he turned down a two-year deal.
In other words,Tigers’ owner Mike Ilitch would help Boras save face for completely failing one of his clients. This might be done not just with the general public or even Damon in mind, but other possible clients, who saw Felipe Lopez show him the door on Friday.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)