UPDATE: Rays win hearing, Upton to earn $3 mil.

Feb 13, 2010, 4:39 PM EDT

Update: According to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times, the Rays have won the hearing, so Upton will earn $3 million this season instead of $3.3 million.

11:00 am: Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that a decision from a three-person panel of arbitrators regarding the Rays and outfielder B.J. Upton is expected sometime today. The two sides concluded a hearing which ran over 3 1/2 hours in St. Petersburg on Friday.

Upton requested $3.3 million and was offered $3 million when arbitration figures were exchanged in January. The 25-year-old outfielder never really found his footing last season after offseason shoulder surgery on his left shoulder, batting just .241/.313/.373 with 11 home runs, 55 RBI and 42 stolen bases. He’s arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter.

1. Jamie - Feb 13, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I wouldn’t want to head into an arbitration hearing armed with a .241/.313/.373 stat line, especially if I’m being offered something so close to my desired salary. Maybe BJ just likes having an occasion to wear a suit.

2. TF in Tampa - Feb 13, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Let’s tally the final score here.
    Arbitrators-1
    Upton-??? well he still gets $3MM. Not too shabby considering he’s got an ‘attitude’ about him. Just watch him run out an infield grounder next time, no hustle from my vantage point.

3. Alan - Feb 13, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Thanks, D.J., for noting Upton’s offseason shoulder surgery. I hardly ever see that mentioned as a possible cause for his off year. How long does it take to get full strength back in the shoulder after labrum surgery anyway?

4. Rays fan - Feb 13, 2010 at 6:03 PM

Alan–most major joint injuries take two years to fully heal. This is why in football the running back with an ACL tear isn’t himself the first season back.
    Here’s hoping he comes back with a great season and earns a multiyear contract.

5. Alan - Feb 13, 2010 at 8:27 PM

Thanks! See, I know Beej gets a lot of grief around here, but after he played through that torn labrum in ’08 and went bonkers in the playoffs I’m maybe willing to give him a bit of a pass.

6. Old Gator - Feb 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM

This jetlagged and depressurized Feesg fan is apoplectic with envy at the kind of money being spent on ballplayers on the other side of the state. But doesn’t Upton get an extra .2mm hardship grant for having to play at the Tropicana Dump?

7. Rays fan - Feb 14, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I prefer the term “unique venue.”

8. Old Gator - Feb 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Just dragged my carcass in from Albuquerque – and will probably go out for sushi tonight just as a violent reaction to five days’ worth of New Mexican food – transitioning from something that usually burns your taste buds off like a Santa Ana backfire to something you can hardly taste at all, but whose “subtlety” you celebrate to cement your identity as a yuppie.
    But first – as we flew down the west coast of Florida we went right over the top of that Morlock dome the Rays are condemned, apparently forever, to play in. I see they painted the dome a lighter shade of white. Now, from 25,000 feet, it looks like a wart.

9. TF in Tampa - Feb 14, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Now didn’t your mother teach you anything as a nice young boy growing up in New York City, like, if you can’t say anything nice about something, don’t say anything at all? [re:Trop Field]
    Since I can’t really get to see the Borg in their their magnificent new Billion Dollar Baby of a stadium, I’m resolved to catch them when they come to Tampa to gorge themselves on the Rays. Such is life!
    And I know that as the day is long, and, [correct me if I'm wrong because I know you can't], that Gillian is a FOX, that while you were sky high over the Trop you were dreaming up a scheme as to how best to wipe that field off the map.
    But then you would have one less irritating issue to discuss with all your devoted fans here in Tampaland. Do ya think?
    Don’t forget to revisit the ‘Hugo Chavez All Stars’ post.

10. Old Gator - Feb 14, 2010 at 9:59 PM

First of all, I never was a nice young boy, and second, I was in a Southwest 737, not a predator drone. And you were almost right about what I was dreaming about up there – you even included the correct guess in the wrong place in the same sentence. Such is life indeed.
    In Godzilla Dr. Yamani famously noted, “Godzilla should not be destroyed; he should be studied.” I feel the same way about that slag heap of a stadium. USF has a program in architecture, and every student in that program should be marched through that cement seconal capsule during their first semester as a warning about what happens when they let someone with no taste, imagination, sense of proportion or concept of what to do with light and shadow design a public property. In that way, that ossified amoeba of a stadium might, I said might, finally be made useful.

Okay, off to the Chavez thread.

11. Old Gator - Feb 14, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Okay, off to the Chavez thread.

12. TF in Tampa - Feb 14, 2010 at 11:06 PM

As I ponder over your first paragraph, I shall be visiting that blissful state of mind referred to as dreamland myself shortly, with visions of Gillian and her dancing partner Simone performing their magnificent magic for a small croud of two very enthusiastic admirers.
    No charge for dreaming….last I checked.

13. Rays fan - Feb 14, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Your 1st post: next time in Albuquerque, stick to the green chile salsa–it’s mostly tomatillos and poblanos–nice flavor and mild enough you can still taste your cerveza afterward.
    I’ve always thought our unique venue (see how easy that wss?) looked like a kid’s first effort at baking a layer cake.
    Your second post: I know a Dr Yamani–great guy, terrible swimmer–so slow it looks like he’s going backwards.

14. Bob R. - Feb 15, 2010 at 7:13 AM

Nonsense. The only “attitude” that Upton has is the burning desire to get better and to win. He is one of the hardest working players on the team. In fact, he was benched briefly late last year because he was trying too hard, and Maddon wanted to give him a breather.
    This notion that Upton has an attitude or is “lazy” is the result of lazy thinking on talk radio based on a couple of incidents a year or so ago that were in no way symptomatic of the kind of player or person Upton is. He has never excused his mistakes nor complained about the reprimands he received on those occasions. Nor has he ever complained about being shifted around the field or moved down in the lineup. In fact, he took full responsibility for that move down vowing to earn his way back to the top.

15. BC - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Who the heck is this guy’s agent? Upton has an injury-filled disaster of a year, and he can’t close a $300K gap?

All the trade deadline news to know