Feb 13, 2010, 2:17 PM EDT
Update: According to Ladson, the Nationals have not confirmed their interest in Benson, although they did attend one of his recent workouts. Benson’s agent Gregg Clifton hopes to meet with general manager Mike Rizzo in Tampa next week, where arbitration hearings are scheduled to take place. Clifton also represents right-hander Brian Bruney, whose arbitration case is scheduled for Tuesday, so the two sides have some talking to do. Benson’s name will probably come up at some point, though he hasn’t pitched a full season since 2006.
Friday, 4:55 pm: Bill Ladson of MLB.com tweets that the Nationals are interested in Kris Benson and that Mike Rizzo and Benson’s agent are gonna have a cawfee and tawk about it next week.
I find it strange that the Nats are on record this winter saying that they want to bring in some innings-eating mediocrity of a starter — which they even once said was a “Livan Hernandez-type” — yet they haven’t called former Nat Livan Hernandez, who still sits out there unemployed and who figures to at least be way healthier than a guy like Benson.
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 11
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)