Feb 13, 2010, 2:17 PM EST
Update: According to Ladson, the Nationals have not confirmed their interest in Benson, although they did attend one of his recent workouts. Benson’s agent Gregg Clifton hopes to meet with general manager Mike Rizzo in Tampa next week, where arbitration hearings are scheduled to take place. Clifton also represents right-hander Brian Bruney, whose arbitration case is scheduled for Tuesday, so the two sides have some talking to do. Benson’s name will probably come up at some point, though he hasn’t pitched a full season since 2006.
Friday, 4:55 pm: Bill Ladson of MLB.com tweets that the Nationals are interested in Kris Benson and that Mike Rizzo and Benson’s agent are gonna have a cawfee and tawk about it next week.
I find it strange that the Nats are on record this winter saying that they want to bring in some innings-eating mediocrity of a starter — which they even once said was a “Livan Hernandez-type” — yet they haven’t called former Nat Livan Hernandez, who still sits out there unemployed and who figures to at least be way healthier than a guy like Benson.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)