Feb 13, 2010, 1:59 PM EST
So says George King of the New York Post:
the Yankees have their sights on Derek Jeter’s eventual replacement,
who also could be a future center fielder who nudges Curtis Granderson
If I didn’t know any better, I think King
just told me this kid can play two positions at the same time. Crazy.
But seriously, King reports that the Yankees are expected to bid on
Cuban defector Adeiny Hechavarria once he is “unblocked” by the Office
of Foreign Assets Committee, or OFAC. The OFAC are currently verifying
his age — allegedly 21 years old — identity and residency, although
they may be finished as soon as next week. Hechavarria, a veteran of
the Cuban junior national team, defected to Mexico last year.
don’t know any more than I’ve read in the past few days, but there are
more than a few scouts who have said he is a better prospect than
19-year-old Jose Iglesias, who signed with the Red Sox in September.
The Angels were also linked to Hechavarria earlier this week.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 41
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)