Feb 13, 2010, 1:59 PM EST
So says George King of the New York Post:
the Yankees have their sights on Derek Jeter’s eventual replacement,
who also could be a future center fielder who nudges Curtis Granderson
If I didn’t know any better, I think King
just told me this kid can play two positions at the same time. Crazy.
But seriously, King reports that the Yankees are expected to bid on
Cuban defector Adeiny Hechavarria once he is “unblocked” by the Office
of Foreign Assets Committee, or OFAC. The OFAC are currently verifying
his age — allegedly 21 years old — identity and residency, although
they may be finished as soon as next week. Hechavarria, a veteran of
the Cuban junior national team, defected to Mexico last year.
don’t know any more than I’ve read in the past few days, but there are
more than a few scouts who have said he is a better prospect than
19-year-old Jose Iglesias, who signed with the Red Sox in September.
The Angels were also linked to Hechavarria earlier this week.
- Report: Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 15
- The Matt Kemp trade is expected to go down as planned 3
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 75
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)