Feb 13, 2010, 1:59 PM EST
So says George King of the New York Post:
the Yankees have their sights on Derek Jeter’s eventual replacement,
who also could be a future center fielder who nudges Curtis Granderson
If I didn’t know any better, I think King
just told me this kid can play two positions at the same time. Crazy.
But seriously, King reports that the Yankees are expected to bid on
Cuban defector Adeiny Hechavarria once he is “unblocked” by the Office
of Foreign Assets Committee, or OFAC. The OFAC are currently verifying
his age — allegedly 21 years old — identity and residency, although
they may be finished as soon as next week. Hechavarria, a veteran of
the Cuban junior national team, defected to Mexico last year.
don’t know any more than I’ve read in the past few days, but there are
more than a few scouts who have said he is a better prospect than
19-year-old Jose Iglesias, who signed with the Red Sox in September.
The Angels were also linked to Hechavarria earlier this week.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (134)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)