Feb 14, 2010, 1:49 PM EDT
If you’re a Dodgers fan, or simply love tracking millionaire divorce proceedings, Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports has a massive Sunday column chock-full of updates on the ongoing marital battle between Frank and Jamie McCourt.
The proceedings have obviously centered around ownership of the Dodgers and the two sides have very different ideas of how the franchise should be divvied up. In a nutshell, Frank wants sole ownership of the club while Jamie is requesting half. Interestingly, entertainment lawyer Bert Fields believes the Dodgers will be better off as a whole if Jamie gets her way.
“Unlike Jamie, I don’t think Frank is willing to spend what Jamie will
to keep them competitive,” Fields said. “You might ask him how much
money he took out of the organization last year. You might be surprised.
Rather than spend it on pitching.”
The Dodgers have a solid core of young stars with Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw and Jonathan Broxton in tow, but it has been an uninspiring offseason in Los Angeles thus far. There are legitimate concerns that the McCourts’ messy divorce will leave the club without a clearly defined budget and without much direction at the top. Those youngsters have to be re-signed eventually.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 31
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 18
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (204)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)