Feb 14, 2010, 1:49 PM EST
If you’re a Dodgers fan, or simply love tracking millionaire divorce proceedings, Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports has a massive Sunday column chock-full of updates on the ongoing marital battle between Frank and Jamie McCourt.
The proceedings have obviously centered around ownership of the Dodgers and the two sides have very different ideas of how the franchise should be divvied up. In a nutshell, Frank wants sole ownership of the club while Jamie is requesting half. Interestingly, entertainment lawyer Bert Fields believes the Dodgers will be better off as a whole if Jamie gets her way.
“Unlike Jamie, I don’t think Frank is willing to spend what Jamie will
to keep them competitive,” Fields said. “You might ask him how much
money he took out of the organization last year. You might be surprised.
Rather than spend it on pitching.”
The Dodgers have a solid core of young stars with Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw and Jonathan Broxton in tow, but it has been an uninspiring offseason in Los Angeles thus far. There are legitimate concerns that the McCourts’ messy divorce will leave the club without a clearly defined budget and without much direction at the top. Those youngsters have to be re-signed eventually.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (118)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)