Feb 15, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
Tweet from WEEI’s
Chad Rob Bradford, who is on the ground at Red Sox spring training in Fort Myers this morning:
Buchholz at 198 pounds after pitching at 185 last year.
Somebody didn’t get the “best shape of his life” memo!
In other news, I have come to view Twitter as positively essential to doing this here job. Just about anything worth knowing in baseball gets tweeted first these days, so I’m on Twitter all day listening to what baseball people — writers, players, agents, whoever — have to say.
But while Twitter is really valuable, it does have one problem: when nothing is really going on, the stuff that is just barely news gets really, really overplayed. Take this morning for example, when we learned the following from various Boston writers:
- “Josh Beckett just arrived after a weekend at the Daytona 500″
- “Beckett is in the house”
- “Josh Beckett here.”
- “Tito and Theo are out here this morning.”
- “Pap and Delcarmen just walked by.”
- “Lester and Buchholz are preparing to throw in the bullpen now.”
- “Buchholz and Lester are playing catch on one of the fields.”
- “Newcomers at Sox camp: Buchholz, Bard. Clay throwing with Lester right now.”
That’s all in less than an hour. By the end of the day I fully expect to learn that some other Red Sox players have shown up where they’re supposed to be and have begun to do things like throw baseballs to one another. I know it’s Boston, and Sox fans are crazy, and they want to hear any little thing that happens, but if that level of coverage is required to keep the masses happy, the masses can go get bent.
In other other news, I’m going to be doing a little spring training trip in early March, and when I’m there I’m going to tweet my butt off. Excpet when I do it, I’m going to make it interesting. Stuff like “Pedroia just walked by; told me Big Papi lost an arm in a thresher accident last night” and “Sabathia throwing a bullpen session; new eephus pitch looks good.”
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 39
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 70
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (163)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)