Clay Buchholz is not in the best shape of his life

Feb 15, 2010, 10:29 AM EST

Tweet from WEEI’s Chad Rob Bradford, who is on the ground at Red Sox spring training in Fort Myers this morning:

Buchholz at 198 pounds after pitching at 185 last year.

Somebody didn’t get the “best shape of his life” memo!

In other news, I have come to view Twitter as positively essential to doing this here job. Just about anything worth knowing in baseball gets tweeted first these days, so I’m on Twitter all day listening to what baseball people — writers, players, agents, whoever — have to say.

But while Twitter is really valuable, it does have one problem: when nothing is really going on, the stuff that is just barely news gets really, really overplayed.  Take this morning for example, when we learned the following from various Boston writers:

That’s all in less than an hour.  By the end of the day I fully expect to learn that some other Red Sox players have shown up where they’re supposed to be and have begun to do things like throw baseballs to one another.  I know it’s Boston, and Sox fans are crazy, and they want to hear any little thing that happens, but if that level of coverage is required to keep the masses happy, the masses can go get bent.

In other other news, I’m going to be doing a little spring training trip in early March, and when I’m there I’m going to tweet my butt off.  Excpet when I do it, I’m going to make it interesting. Stuff like “Pedroia just walked by; told me Big Papi lost an arm in a thresher accident last night” and “Sabathia throwing a bullpen session; new eephus pitch looks good.”

1. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:42 AM

But the good news is, the cold spell in January killed off most of Fort Meyer’s famous rampaging Nile and Salvatore monitor lizards (although of course it also selected for survival the cold-hardiest individuals, so the ones that are left will be tougher than ever once they breed out a few generations. Careful what you wish for, etc). Ergo, if you see what you think is an alligator in a tree, for the time being at least it most probably is an alligator.
    Comforting, isn’t it?

2. APBA Guy - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM

Maybe Buchholz needed the weight, Craig. He’s pretty tall, 6’4″ or something, and he’s expected to throw more stressful innings this year. 185 for a guy 6’4″ is about 155 for a guy 6’1″. That’s not enough weight.
    Of course, a lot depends on if the additional ballast is ice cream weight or API added, but he probably can still benefit at this point.

3. d - Feb 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM

you mean Rob Bradford… :)
    Is Chad Bradford pitching anywhere this year?

4. RedSox North - Feb 15, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Buchholz has had trouble gaining weight and wanted to put on some pounds because he’s too skinny. He does look a little paunchy in one photo.

5. Ralph Kramden - Feb 15, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Who’s going to complain about a Carlos Zambrano-shaped pitcher?

6. GBSimons - Feb 15, 2010 at 12:13 PM

Every Cub fan on the planet, Ralphie boy! Because Big Z is only very good and not otherworldly.

7. dl3mk3 - Feb 15, 2010 at 1:05 PM

I can only hope he’s throwing an eephus

8. quintjs - Feb 15, 2010 at 1:18 PM

The weight gain for Buchholz PUTS HIM IN THE BEST SHAPE OF HIS LIFE.
    He needs it, he needed to get bigger and stronger.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4677)
  2. M. Kemp (3722)
  3. M. Cabrera (2920)
  4. J. Kang (2727)
  5. M. Morse (2608)
  1. J. Upton (2603)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2268)
  3. A. Rios (2263)