Ernie Harwell hears the voice of the turtle

Feb 15, 2010, 8:00 AM EDT

If you’re the sort of person who doesn’t want to read a column in which Ernie Harwell tells spring training stories from the 1940s to the 1960s then I don’t have much use for you.

And for those of you unfamiliar with his work, Harwell used to begin the first spring training broadcast of each season with a reading from Song of Solomon 2:11-12:

“For
lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear
on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice
of the turtle is heard in our land.”

He may not get a chance to say it on the radio this year, but I’m glad that Harwell has held on long enough to hear the voice of the turtle one more time.

1. Jamie - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:05 AM

I hope that during discussions on renaming “Circling The Bases”, you suggested calling this blog “Voice Of The Turtle”.

2. Bobby Townsend - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:40 AM

Come on Ernie, hang in there buddy, I’m rooting for you all the way

3. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:46 AM

This time of year, the turtles are calling from the pond and inviting me to do some pretty perverse and unspeakable things – from a talking hairless ape’s point of view, anyway. But the, so are the frogs, anoles, geckos, pygmy rattlesnakes (forget that) and alligators. But forget it. Most of the gators are cousins of mine and I’m not interested. They must think I’m from some part of the country where inbreeding is de rigeur – you know, like West Virginia or someplace like that.

4. TD - Feb 16, 2010 at 5:18 AM

I believe turtle means turtle dove in this context.

5. James - Feb 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM

The Tigers should make that a permanent tradition. Ernie has recordings of it. There should also be recordings of his voice playing at the entrance to Comerica Park where his statue is. Ernie’s voice IS Tiguh baseball.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic