Ichiro a ratings hit; a fashion liability

Feb 15, 2010, 5:20 PM EST

From the Seattle Times comes word that from midnight to 6 a.m. on New Year’s Day, Japanese TV ran an Ichiro marathon.  But it wasn’t a highlights package per se, it was video of each and every one of his 2,030 Major League hits.  And it got pretty darn good ratings too. Not sure how such a thing would do here, but if they ran, say, every one of Wade Boggs’ or Rod Carew’s hits here I’d probably watch the whole damn show.  I’d certainly tune it in before I’d watch Ryan Seacrest and the corpse of Dick Clark rockin’ in the new year.

The Times’ article, however, brings us some less-happy Ichiro news: he and his wife Yumiko Fukushima are on the outs. Well, that’s not actually “news” — indeed such a thing has not been reported anywhere by anyone — but based on what he was photographed wearing while taking BP in Japan last month, I can only conclude that he no longer has a woman around to tell him when he dresses like a fool:

Ichiro Pants.jpg

1. d10 - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Can you actually get a degree in journalism any more? This writer is an idiot.

2. BlogsArentJournalism - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:11 PM

No…. YOU tell it to AOL. It’s your article and YOU reap the benefits of AOL linking it. That still doesn’t excuse you for the tasteless Dick Clark comment.
    Those who can, do… those who can’t, blog.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:20 PM

For all of your trenchant journalistic insight, you’ve yet to grasp that I have no power over anything AOL — a completely separate company from the one I work for — does. But if you want to still call it my fault I can’t stop you.
    As for Dick Clark: he’s a big boy. I’m sure he can handle it.

4. Raymond E. Alston - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM

He does not play for my Yankees. ok?

5. BlogsArentJournalism - Feb 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM

You mean NBC/Uni pays you to write two paragraphs that you take from someone else’s article and put your opinion and lame tasteless jokes into it? No wonder they are looking to sell again. Count your blessings kid… and when you or someone in your family suffers a debilitating stroke I hope you have the same attitude you do now. You’re a big boy… you can handle it.

6. Old Gator - Feb 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM

That was a debilitating stroke???
    I thought that’s just the way they danced back in the 50s – kinda like one of those Jan and Dean nostalgia tours.
    Anyway, thanks for being the voice of sanctimony that all of us sensitive types have been clamoring for. You saved me the trouble of becoming indignant myself.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6198)