Feb 15, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT
From the Seattle Times comes word that from midnight to 6 a.m. on New Year’s Day, Japanese TV ran an Ichiro marathon. But it wasn’t a highlights package per se, it was video of each and every one of his 2,030 Major League hits. And it got pretty darn good ratings too. Not sure how such a thing would do here, but if they ran, say, every one of Wade Boggs’ or Rod Carew’s hits here I’d probably watch the whole damn show. I’d certainly tune it in before I’d watch Ryan Seacrest and the corpse of Dick Clark rockin’ in the new year.
The Times’ article, however, brings us some less-happy Ichiro news: he and his wife Yumiko Fukushima are on the outs. Well, that’s not actually “news” — indeed such a thing has not been reported anywhere by anyone — but based on what he was photographed wearing while taking BP in Japan last month, I can only conclude that he no longer has a woman around to tell him when he dresses like a fool:
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 103
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32