Ichiro a ratings hit; a fashion liability

Feb 15, 2010, 5:20 PM EDT

From the Seattle Times comes word that from midnight to 6 a.m. on New Year’s Day, Japanese TV ran an Ichiro marathon.  But it wasn’t a highlights package per se, it was video of each and every one of his 2,030 Major League hits.  And it got pretty darn good ratings too. Not sure how such a thing would do here, but if they ran, say, every one of Wade Boggs’ or Rod Carew’s hits here I’d probably watch the whole damn show.  I’d certainly tune it in before I’d watch Ryan Seacrest and the corpse of Dick Clark rockin’ in the new year.

The Times’ article, however, brings us some less-happy Ichiro news: he and his wife Yumiko Fukushima are on the outs. Well, that’s not actually “news” — indeed such a thing has not been reported anywhere by anyone — but based on what he was photographed wearing while taking BP in Japan last month, I can only conclude that he no longer has a woman around to tell him when he dresses like a fool:

Ichiro Pants.jpg

1. YankeesfanLen - Feb 15, 2010 at 5:52 PM

As an admirer of your tags, I can live with 92 “best shape of his life”, but hope you only have to use “zebra spandex bike shorts” once.
    Forgive me for the lapse, but I can’t remember the 80s band that wore this outfit, but I’m sure it was sans the black socks.

2. The Rabbit - Feb 15, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I thought Junior’s contract included a clause that he be Ichiro’s stylist.

3. carlos - Feb 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I love his outfit! Saw this in the Sea-Times this weekend and thought “now there’s a guy who can go out in zebra print and neon yellow, and not care what anybody thinks about it.”
    Not many can pull this off. I’m just glad to see he’s not taking himself to serious.

4. Emperor Hirohito - Feb 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM

Way cool. The old lady (Fuku shima) comes with operating instructions.

5. woundedduck - Feb 15, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Any divergence from the Ken Doll (or Deion Doll or Manuel Doll, take your ethnic pick) homogeneity of the MLB is welcome. Go zebra shorts!

6. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Well, I certainly can’t imagine an Ichiro bobblehead in that outfit being sold at the Shoji Temple bazaar along with the Hideki Matsui bobbleheads in either Borg pinstripes (as they like to remember him) or in repainted in Los Angeles, Sherman Oaks, Newport Beach and Cucamonga Angels of Anaheim, Santa Ana and Redlands livery. I seriously doubt if the Buddhas and Dharmapalas would be amused having something dressed like that holding their incense for them. What a way to wind down the Kali Yuga!

7. Jack Meoffer - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:34 PM

It looks like Stevie Wonder is picking out Ichiro’s wardrobe.

8. Cru11 - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I think for a guy who has 200+ plus hits for 9 straight seasons can wear whatever he damn well wants.

9. kardo|afk - Feb 16, 2010 at 4:42 AM

That’s the thing about Ichiro, he’s not afraid to create his own fashion! He’s like a kid out there.

10. sweetthreadsmyman - Feb 16, 2010 at 8:33 AM

Where are Garanimals when you need them?

11. gposner29 - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Women should be seen and not heard. What wuss planet did you come from? What happened to your testicles?

12. The Menstruator - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Who the hell cares what these sports robots wear. They are all mindless twits and rapists.

13. AHeff - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:54 PM

The headline on the AOL home page says “Yankees player a fashion liability?” Seems that the author doesn’t know that Ichiro isn’t on (and never has been) the Yankees. Is he confusing Ichiro with Hideki Matsui (now, regrettably, a former Yankee) because he thinks that “they all look alike”? Tsk, tsk…

14. ruth - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM

who’s the moron that headed this article on the welcome page? ichiro doesn’t play for the yankees you incompetent fools……

15. Anthony - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Im glad someone is awake….. I thought I missed the deal of the decade!!!!!

16. Susan - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:13 PM

Ichiro can wear any darn thing he wants! I read this stupid article because I was concerned that the Yankees acquired him. Whew, I’m glad that it was just another stupid article.

17. Ogre - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM

typical female response

18. Bob - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Ichiro is not a Yankee. Also, nice way to refer to Dick Clark
    Get this moron off the net!!!

19. ladycorvette - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:39 PM

I agree with all going on in the world this guy looks like he’s having fun!! If Lady GaGa can wear what she wants why cant he!!

20. cheryl - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM

one day the NY Yankees will want him. He will have to “play the part” like Johnny Damon did. For now, leave the man alone. Are you paying for his clothes?

21. fred - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM

at least its not a wedding dress and a nose ring ala Dennis Rodman

22. mike - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Great Editor you have, Ichiro plays for the Seattle Mariners. The teams are on opposite coasts, stick to fashion and leave the sports to real men.

23. Eric - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Who’s this guy’s source, Perez Hilton?

24. Craig Calcaterra - Feb 16, 2010 at 1:57 PM

You guys are all fantastic readers. Where does it say — anywhere — in this post that Ichiro is a Yankee? The Yankee thing came from some AOL link teasing this post. This is not an AOL site and we have no affiliation with them. If you’re going to get bent out of shape over that, tell it to AOL.

25. BlogsArentJournalism - Feb 16, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Headline link misidentifies team. Tasteless and pointless reference to a man that’s accomplished more than you ever will. Let’s hear it for blog writers and the inevitable death of journalism.

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2658)