Optimism for the Braves, Optimism for the Mets

Feb 15, 2010, 1:20 PM EDT

In the interests of equal time, I report good news relating to both my own team, the Braves, and my team’s quasi-nemesis, the Mets.

For the Braves, it’s FanGraph’s David Cameron opining that one of the team’s putative weaknesses — Melky Cabrera in leftfield — will actually be a positive:

He may not look like a classic corner outfielder, but Cabrera can play,
and I think Braves fans will be pleasantly surprised with what he
offers. His defense is going to be a solid plus in a corner, and he’s
not far from being a quintessential #2 hitter. Given his physical
skills and age, don’t be surprised if he locks down an outfield spot in
Atlanta for the next several years.

I’ll admit I’m worried, so it’s nice to hear one of the smartest baseball analysts in the business rocking the Melky optimism.

The Mets don’t have a smart analyst in their corner, but they do have an off-brand t-shirt shop showing an even greater optimism, and that’s not too bad seeing what they have to work with this year.

1. Ron Davis - Feb 15, 2010 at 1:54 PM

If the Mets stay healthy they would be in the 80-90 win grouping not sure what but last year was a wipe out. The two years before was 89 wins and 88 . So i do not believe this team is better then those two but with health they won’t be as bad as last year. 3rd place or 4th with Florida and Washington and Mets battling . They are not as good as Atlanta or Philly or paper. But you do not play on paper.

2. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Feb 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM

That’s arguably the most bold statement from a Little League sponsor I’ve ever seen.

3. BL - Feb 15, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I don’t know what you are smoking down there in Atlanta but It will shock me if the Braves turn a better record in 2010 than the mMets. The Mets team is basically the same as two years ago with Bay replacing Delgado. And the pitching is better than the Braves at every level. Your ace that you paid 60 mil on last year was horrible and the Mets experienced catastropic injuries across the board all year. We will have to wait and see of course but if both teams stay healthy the Mets are far better.

4. willmose - Feb 15, 2010 at 4:24 PM

I hate to stick up for the Braves, but they are a much better team than the Mets. The odds that the Mets will stay healthy are about the same as me winning big on lottery. Guys all teams have injuries, good teams rise about them, bad ones use the injuries as an excuse. Boy, if those Pirates would have just stayed healthy they would have won 141 games last year. Teams finish where they finish on merit. The Mets really were that bad last year. Yes, if the Babe and Lou had come back from the dead and had career years for the Mets, the Mets probably would have finished second. Fairy tales are fairy tales, reality is reality even when it sucks. How come all that great young talent in the Met organization didn’t step up and do the job when given the opportunity last year? I’ll shut up about the Mets until June now. In June, the Met whinners will get the better of me and I will give them another dose of reality. At least Cub fans are lovable losers.

5. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I beg to differ. The Cubs are lovable losers. The Cub fans are another story altogether. Ever sit just in front of a Cubs fan at a ballgame? You would swear you were sitting in front of a Feelies fan who had moved to Chicago in his youth, but not soon enough to escape becoming a loudmouthed asshole. Hell, even Beanbag fans at the depths of their historic despair were more civil. I vividly recall sitting in Wrigley during the couple of years I was at the University of Chicago – to put that in historical perspective, Dave Kingman briefly held down a sports column in one of the local papers and the Chicago Bears were the ’62 Mutts of the NFL – and being embarrassed by the apparent inability of the fans to utter anything but expletives and use words in excess of two syllables in length, expletives included. I also remember the behavior of Cubs fans during the ’97 World Series down here at the stadium formerly known as Joe Robbie; nothing had changed much from the late 70s-early 80s. Fortunately I was sitting behind the single most obnoxious baseball fan I have ever encountered this time and must admit there were moments when I had to consider seriously relieving myself on this guy’s head, but (a) his wife looked embarrassed enough to be stuck with him and I felt for her, and (b) I didn’t want to be confused with a Cubs fan myself.
    Frankly, I think Steve Bartman was lucky to get out of there alive.

6. The Rabbit - Feb 15, 2010 at 6:38 PM

The Cubs may be “loveable losers” but the fans, not so much. My brother-in-law (NY team fan) and sister (Phillies fan) went to Chicago and happened to be present for the Victorino beer shower. They both remarked that while they found it impossible to believe, Cubs fans were actually more obnoxious than Phillies fans.
    Old Gator: It is possible to silence drunk Phillies fans without an altercation. My 6’6″, 285 lb. husband, neighbors, and I went to the 1980 Philadelphia playoff games. I will point out that my neighbors were an interracial couple and he was a police detective in the city in which we lived. Around the second inning, the drunken fans sitting behind us started to make racial slurs. My now-ex and my neighbor stood up and turned to face them. My neighbor moved his jacket slightly and displayed his badge and holster. My ex who blocked out the sun and towered over the seated drunks even though we were several rows below simply glowered. There wasn’t another word out of them for the rest of the game.

7. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Your ex-husband sounds a lot like my ex-wife. Huge, glowering, blocking out the sun like the K/T meteorite impact, causing all the interesting life forms – especially the ones you used to drink with – to become extinct, all that. Or at least, that’s how she appears in my nightmares. In all probability she was about five foot six and maybe eighty five pounds but you know how those youthful traumas metastasize in your memory banks.
    Anyway, I don’t think my foul memories of Cubs or Feelies fans have inflated much with time. It may well be that the idiots behind you were the same idiots in front of me.

8. willmose - Feb 16, 2010 at 12:38 AM

I avoid Cub fans at all costs as they are all reality challenged. Don’t go to Wrigley, it is old, dirty, stinks and on good days one team actually knows how to play baseball. Watch the game on the tube, it’s a better experience and Cub announcers are a hoot! You try filling 600 hours of air time with good things to say about the Cubs. Oh well, I hear than Zambrano is in the best shape of his life, so that must bode well for the Cubbies. At any rate I stand duely corrected by you and The Rabbit. The Cubs are a lovable losers, their fans are the politically incorrect r word at best and a case of the Old Style runs most other times.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win