Feb 15, 2010, 8:13 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Rangers have signed outfielder Endy Chavez to a minor league contract.
Chavez was Seattle’s primary left fielder for a time last year before going down with a torn ACL in June. Known for his glove, he hit .273/.328/.342 in 161 at-bats before getting hurt. He came in at .267/.308/.330 in 270 at-bats for the Mets in 2008.
As strong as he is defensively, it’s surprising he wasn’t taken more seriously as a fourth outfielder this winter. However, it hurt his case that the knee injury could limit him into 2010. On the Rangers, he’ll be a fifth outfielder on a team that’s already going to struggle to find at-bats for David Murphy.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)