Feb 15, 2010, 9:24 PM EDT
A major league source has informed FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi that the Tigers and free agent outfielder Johnny Damon are not far from agreement on a contract.
Whether it’s a one-year, $7 million deal or a two-year, $14 million pact, it appears we’re close to the end of this saga. The Rays and Braves are still technically in the running for Damon’s services, but it’s doubtful those clubs will want to engage in any sort of bidding war for a player that has gone unwanted for so long.
Damon, 36, batted .282/.365/.489 with 24 homers and 107 runs scored last year for the
Yankees, but he has drawn very little interest this offseason mostly due to his lacking defensive abilities.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)