Feb 15, 2010, 9:24 PM EST
A major league source has informed FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi that the Tigers and free agent outfielder Johnny Damon are not far from agreement on a contract.
Whether it’s a one-year, $7 million deal or a two-year, $14 million pact, it appears we’re close to the end of this saga. The Rays and Braves are still technically in the running for Damon’s services, but it’s doubtful those clubs will want to engage in any sort of bidding war for a player that has gone unwanted for so long.
Damon, 36, batted .282/.365/.489 with 24 homers and 107 runs scored last year for the
Yankees, but he has drawn very little interest this offseason mostly due to his lacking defensive abilities.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)