Feb 15, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
As was reported over the weekend, Felipe Lopez fired his agent, Scott Boras, and Kendry Morales fired his agents, the Hendricks brothers . . . and joined up with Scott Boras. The whys of these sorts of things are always a bit murky, but SI’s Jon Heyman explains in consecutive bullet points in his latest column:
• Kendry Morales had a financial dispute with Randy and Alan Hendricks before leaving them for Scott Boras. Morales is the one who brought Chapman to the Hendricks brothers so there was quite a turn for the worse in their relationship.
• Felipe Lopez was obviously frustrated not to find a starting job from among 30 teams after hitting .310 with a .383 on-base percentage, which led to his switch from Boras to the Beverly Hills Sports Council.
The stuff about Morales is new, as I’ve not seen anyone else report why he left the Hendricks brothers. The Lopez stuff — the “starting job from among 30 teams” language — is not so new. Yes, I’m sure I’ve heard it before. Where was it . . . where was it . . . Oh yeah, those were Scott Boras’ words:
“We know how frustrating it is when a player can’t get a starting job from any one of the 30 teams,” Boras says. “We wish Felipe well. He’s a very talented player.”
Query: does Lopez agree that he “couldn’t get” a job “from any of the 30 teams” or does he think his agent didn’t shop him effectively? Inquiring minds want to know.
In any event, I find it interesting that Heyman is able to dig into the muck of a player-agent financial dispute so quickly in the case of Morales, while in the case of Lopez he is left with parroting the defensive and self-serving statement of the fired agent.
Unless of course both of those pieces of information came from the same place. Then it’s interesting for other reasons.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)