Feb 15, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
As was reported over the weekend, Felipe Lopez fired his agent, Scott Boras, and Kendry Morales fired his agents, the Hendricks brothers . . . and joined up with Scott Boras. The whys of these sorts of things are always a bit murky, but SI’s Jon Heyman explains in consecutive bullet points in his latest column:
• Kendry Morales had a financial dispute with Randy and Alan Hendricks before leaving them for Scott Boras. Morales is the one who brought Chapman to the Hendricks brothers so there was quite a turn for the worse in their relationship.
• Felipe Lopez was obviously frustrated not to find a starting job from among 30 teams after hitting .310 with a .383 on-base percentage, which led to his switch from Boras to the Beverly Hills Sports Council.
The stuff about Morales is new, as I’ve not seen anyone else report why he left the Hendricks brothers. The Lopez stuff — the “starting job from among 30 teams” language — is not so new. Yes, I’m sure I’ve heard it before. Where was it . . . where was it . . . Oh yeah, those were Scott Boras’ words:
“We know how frustrating it is when a player can’t get a starting job from any one of the 30 teams,” Boras says. “We wish Felipe well. He’s a very talented player.”
Query: does Lopez agree that he “couldn’t get” a job “from any of the 30 teams” or does he think his agent didn’t shop him effectively? Inquiring minds want to know.
In any event, I find it interesting that Heyman is able to dig into the muck of a player-agent financial dispute so quickly in the case of Morales, while in the case of Lopez he is left with parroting the defensive and self-serving statement of the fired agent.
Unless of course both of those pieces of information came from the same place. Then it’s interesting for other reasons.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (111)