You can get dibs on Cubs tickets if you want to pay more

Feb 15, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT

Money don’t get everything it’s true, but what it don’t get . . . wait, I think it gets pretty much everything these days:

On Monday, fans will be able to buy tickets to every Cubs home game, but at a premium of 20 percent over the face value, or 15
percent if they pay with a MasterCard. The MasterCard First Chance
Presale will last until Thursday and include an undisclosed percentage
of the pool of the Cubs’ single-game tickets.

On Friday, any remaining tickets will be sold at face value (with the usual assortment of fees).

While I sometimes pretend to be a big commie I don’t have any problem with rich people being rich.  Whether their assets came from the sweat of their brow or accident of birth, good for them. Indeed, I wouldn’t mind joining their ranks someday. You know, just to see how it feels.

But I do lament the fact that we live in a world where access to money has almost completely replaced the effort of standing on line and waiting when it comes to getting dibs on anything worth having. While it may be perfectly economically rational for access to stuff — rather than just the stuff itself — to have a price, there was something nice and democratic about everyone having to line up together at the bank, the post office, the voting booth or the box office back in the day.

Oh well, if anyone needs me I’ll be at the automat eating my luncheon and writing pamphlets  for my WPA job.

1. Old Gator - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:41 AM

I think that given the way this team looks going into peetchers and catchers, you’d be better off investing that money in extra mushrooms, green peppers, onion and garlic in your stuffed spinach special at Giordano’s. Take your Alli and carb blocker of choice first, of course. Then you can walk it off on a nice mile or so stroll up to Wrigley.

2. berselius - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:50 AM

This is just the Cubs trying to recoup some of the huge amount of scalping profits that the ticket brokers get. I find this much more up front than what the Trib used to do, which was to hold back tickets and sell them on StubHub through an official arm of the team – the Cubs actually scalped their OWN tickets.

3. Levi Stahl - Feb 15, 2010 at 9:57 AM

The change from a system of waiting all night in a freezing cold line in February to get Cubs Opening Day tickets to a wristband (and now this?) system was a bit part of what prompted me and my seatmates to plump for season tickets a dozen years ago. But college student me sure couldn’t have afforded that, while I could totally afford the frigid all-nighter–and the scene of overnight Wrigley campouts on the sidewalk was really something; I was sad to see it go.

4. N - Feb 15, 2010 at 10:43 AM

This is, essentially, the quietest price hike in history.
    The White Sox series, the Cardinals serieses (seri?) and most weekend summer bleacher seats are the first to go for the Cubs, ever since attendance picked up. The Cubs have already adjust for this with a tiered pricing scheme, but since those tickets are going to be the ones that go here (and to scalpers as much as anyone else), they’re just hiking up the prices of their most expensive tickets.
    The Cubs have already been doing other pre-sale ticket deals the last few years. There’s a 9 ticket plan which I imagine is done by a few teams – choose 2 games you actually want to go to, 4 games that are just okay, and 3 games they’re going to have trouble selling (the Nats in April!), so that’ll take some tickets off the top and so will this, and by Thursday, there isn’t going to be much less.
    As a fan of the team, I think I actually should be kind of happy about all of this – if all the money is going back into the team, the team’s going to have a little more money to work with. (Like, if this is a Felipe Lopez tax, I’m cool with it.) As a person who likes to go to Wrigley Field, I think I may be investing in a warm coat and some hot chocolate to see Jason Marquis’ return.

5. Jack Meoffer - Feb 15, 2010 at 11:09 AM

All this greed in MLB is the reason why I stopped going to games. By the time you pay for your nose bleed seats (yes, even these new “fan friendly” stadiums have horrible seats behind support beams 500 feet away), parking, $6 sodas, traffic, etc…you have gone through almost half a paycheck. After the last strike in 1994 I was done. You discover there are more things in life than sitting in a stadium watching a team who does not give a &#%* about you, only your cash deposit. Only a sucker, yes, a SUCKER would hand over a large amount of cash like that. I’m sorry, but I work to friggin hard just to pay to see something that really is nothing in the end. I don’t “have to be there” to feel the experience. If I want to watch I game I will watch it with the best seat ever, in the comforts of my own home. You don’t get any drunk fans yelling and out of control because their team lost. And your wallet is a little heavier and you can afford more things at a reasonable price.

6. Will - Feb 15, 2010 at 1:03 PM

No, you’re not a sucker if you go to a ballgame. All it means is that you value the experience more than the dough. I can’t understand why anybody would fork over perfectly good money to stand in the cold at a Packers’ game, or go to a Celine Dion concert and get squawked at, but they’re not suckers for doing it.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3736)