Feb 15, 2010, 9:28 AM EST
Money don’t get everything it’s true, but what it don’t get . . . wait, I think it gets pretty much everything these days:
On Monday, fans will be able to buy tickets to every Cubs home game, but at a premium of 20 percent over the face value, or 15
percent if they pay with a MasterCard. The MasterCard First Chance
Presale will last until Thursday and include an undisclosed percentage
of the pool of the Cubs’ single-game tickets.
On Friday, any remaining tickets will be sold at face value (with the usual assortment of fees).
While I sometimes pretend to be a big commie I don’t have any problem with rich people being rich. Whether their assets came from the sweat of their brow or accident of birth, good for them. Indeed, I wouldn’t mind joining their ranks someday. You know, just to see how it feels.
But I do lament the fact that we live in a world where access to money has almost completely replaced the effort of standing on line and waiting when it comes to getting dibs on anything worth having. While it may be perfectly economically rational for access to stuff — rather than just the stuff itself — to have a price, there was something nice and democratic about everyone having to line up together at the bank, the post office, the voting booth or the box office back in the day.
Oh well, if anyone needs me I’ll be at the automat eating my luncheon and writing pamphlets for my WPA job.
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 0
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 21
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)