Feb 15, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Money don’t get everything it’s true, but what it don’t get . . . wait, I think it gets pretty much everything these days:
On Monday, fans will be able to buy tickets to every Cubs home game, but at a premium of 20 percent over the face value, or 15
percent if they pay with a MasterCard. The MasterCard First Chance
Presale will last until Thursday and include an undisclosed percentage
of the pool of the Cubs’ single-game tickets.
On Friday, any remaining tickets will be sold at face value (with the usual assortment of fees).
While I sometimes pretend to be a big commie I don’t have any problem with rich people being rich. Whether their assets came from the sweat of their brow or accident of birth, good for them. Indeed, I wouldn’t mind joining their ranks someday. You know, just to see how it feels.
But I do lament the fact that we live in a world where access to money has almost completely replaced the effort of standing on line and waiting when it comes to getting dibs on anything worth having. While it may be perfectly economically rational for access to stuff — rather than just the stuff itself — to have a price, there was something nice and democratic about everyone having to line up together at the bank, the post office, the voting booth or the box office back in the day.
Oh well, if anyone needs me I’ll be at the automat eating my luncheon and writing pamphlets for my WPA job.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)