Feb 15, 2010, 9:28 AM EDT
Money don’t get everything it’s true, but what it don’t get . . . wait, I think it gets pretty much everything these days:
On Monday, fans will be able to buy tickets to every Cubs home game, but at a premium of 20 percent over the face value, or 15
percent if they pay with a MasterCard. The MasterCard First Chance
Presale will last until Thursday and include an undisclosed percentage
of the pool of the Cubs’ single-game tickets.
On Friday, any remaining tickets will be sold at face value (with the usual assortment of fees).
While I sometimes pretend to be a big commie I don’t have any problem with rich people being rich. Whether their assets came from the sweat of their brow or accident of birth, good for them. Indeed, I wouldn’t mind joining their ranks someday. You know, just to see how it feels.
But I do lament the fact that we live in a world where access to money has almost completely replaced the effort of standing on line and waiting when it comes to getting dibs on anything worth having. While it may be perfectly economically rational for access to stuff — rather than just the stuff itself — to have a price, there was something nice and democratic about everyone having to line up together at the bank, the post office, the voting booth or the box office back in the day.
Oh well, if anyone needs me I’ll be at the automat eating my luncheon and writing pamphlets for my WPA job.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)